Replaced Flourescent Tubes with LED Tubes which are now flickering annoyingly

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NugentS

Reaction score
Hi,
I had a twin flourescent tube setup in my home office - I replaced the tubes with LED tubes and obviously also replaced the starters with whatever the LED's require. However these are now flickering (I don't think they did initially). Both tubes are flickering.

Some google says that the "starters" may be the issue. That flickering is often the result of cheap "starters".

Assuming that what I am saying makes sense, can anyone point me to good starters that I could try swapping out? I am assuming at this point that these things are generic and easily replaceable.

Further googling says I may have got the wrong end of the stick here. May have to replace the switch - which is a smart switch, buty not a dimmer switch

Changing the switch is a simple and quick way of checking if that is the issue.

When converting a fitting to LED, I always use straight to mains tubes and wire out the ballast and starter. This maximises energy savings, and some LED tubes have been known to fail or catch fire, especially with high frequency ballasts.

LED Tubes dont need any starter..
they are basically a long thin 203v LED lamp..

just by-pass all the old starter stuff completely..

Also smart switches aren't always very smart..

Last edited:
Oh Poo, its the switch. I just replaced the smart swicth with a typical dumb rocker switch and the lights don't flicker

Any suggestions? I want to be able to smart control the lights in the house - but they are the typical UK switch live and a number of the smart switches don't support that.

Have you removed the ballasts etc.
LEDs should be straight to mains power

According to the manufacturers of the LED tubes you can leave the ballasts in. They are there to limit the current with a fluorescent tube, so as the LEDs take a lot less current they shouldn't make much difference. The starters are just a short circuit or maybe a fuse. Also the capacitors won't make a difference. Having said that I've removed the ballasts on mine, but by leaving them in it makes it a simple straight swap any one can do. I think HF ballasts will be a different story though.

I have removed the Flourescent Tube starters and put in the ones that came with the tubes
The rest is as per the photos below
IMG_20220412_104013_443.jpgIMG_20220412_104020_706.jpgIMG_20220412_104007_994.jpg

Flickers when on. Off is fine.

I removed the cap - and then had to hoover the carpet as all the insutaltion on the screws broke off

I might here to - although given the state of the insulation I may well have to replace the entire fitting
I readded the smart switch and the flickering is even worse now that I have removed the cap. With the dumb rocker switch its fine, shorted its fine (suprise suprise, given that what the rocker switch does) but with the smart switch flicker

Sounds to me like your LED tubes are NOT compatible with the smart switch?

What is the smart switch meant to do?

If it has dimming functions...
and your LED tubes are NOT dimmable (which they probably aren't) they you are peeing in the wind trying to get it working..

Much the same as connecting non-dimmable LED lamps to a manual dimmer switch.. flicker city Arizona here I come!!

Its not a dimming switch its a simple on / off but one that I can say "Alexa, trun on / off the office light"

Its not a dimming switch its a simple on / off but one that I can say "Alexa, trun on / off the office light"
It probably uses solid state (triac) switching which is somehow distorting the mains sine wave and so upsetting the tube electronics. Just swap the switch for one with a relay. The non-compatibility of solid state switching, with or without dimming, with electronic ballasts is a common problem.

Having got it all working you will find the LED tubes are not as bright as the florescents you removed, so why bother.

Look up the lumen output the LED tubes and compare with the lumen output of the same size fluorescents.

Have you wired out the ballasts?
Are the tubes you bought ballast compatible?