Replacing a 6 kw solid ring hob with 7.2 kw induction hob

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrennaBoy

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a keen DIYer and eager to learn.

I have just moved into a house that has a solid ring 6 kw electric hob and built in single oven.

I want to replace both and I have bought a Beko Single Oven and a Induction hob.

Currently the old hob is connected to a 13A plug plugged into a socket in one of the cabinets and the hob looks directly wired into the mains (looks like Twin & Earth cable). They seem to be on a separate circuit as there is a switch on the CU that when flicked cuts out both the oven and the hob.

The new oven is also a single over that is 13A, so I see no reason why I can't just plug this into the socket the same as the other one.

As for the hob...well it seems that it can be wired in as single phase and double phase and it has 5 wires (L1, L2, 2 N sleeved together and Earth). The manual says it is 32A / 16A x 2 so I am assuming that the 32A refers to the single phase and the 16A x 2 refers to double phase.

Now my question is... the old hob is 6 kw and only has 3 wires (L, N & E) so it must be single phase, so presumably there is no reason why I can't swap out the old for the new 7.2 kw in a single phase configuration?

If so, can I just use a 16A junction box to connect the wire from the new hob (L1 & L2 together, the 2 N's together and the Earth) to the mains cable (L, N & E).

Another question is, on the surface of it, it seems like a simple job that I could do myself, or should I really get an electrician in?

Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Bren.

well 7.2kw is more powerful than 6kw so youll need to check the circuit is designed for the load.

you also say it needs 32a yet you ask if you can use a 16a connector... how about no. maybe try using a 32a that the hob is designed for

oven can be plugged in but 7671 does recommend fixed loads over 2kw be on their own circuits

Another question is, on the surface of it, it seems like a simple job that I could do myself, or should I really get an electrician in?

Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Bren.

As a matter of interest what do the installation instructions say?  anything along the lines of should be installed by a qualified electrician.  Basic rule you can apply is, replacing anything for a new item that is lower powered is unlikely to overload the existing circuit arrangement. But any time you are installing higher power items you need to be 100% sure that the cable(s) and protective devices are of the correct specification to avoid damage to the installation or injury to the users.  It is very easy to wire these sort of item up wrong, but they will work reasonably happily for a while until eventually with repeated overloading of the circuit it fails. The other key unknown quantity is the fact you say you have just moved in to this house. It is not uncommon to find that what appears on the face of it to be a standard circuit, that is actually a bodged circuit by the previous owner or his mate from down the pub. I think everyone of our forum members who are qualified electricians will at some point have come across a proper bodge up on an electric circuit, and very often kitchen refurbs, are a key place where corners are cut, such as: oven moved to other side of kitchen, circuit extended with tape joint and wrong size cable. I would strongly recommend to have the supply circuits properly tested to double check you are good to connect your new oven and hob. 

Doc H. 

Read the instructions.
SOME induction hobs let you limit the maximum power that it will draw, if that is available set it to no more than your old hob.