Replacing a DP with a SP light switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfullert

Reaction score
The previous owner of my house was an electrically engineer, so most light switches are commercial MK grid switches.

In the bedroom there are two banks of switches.  The main switch (grid) has a double pole, single way switch, hard wired to lamps and a single pole, two way for the main pendant light, which is no longer used. The pendent is disconnected, but the wiring left intact for future use at the rose. The main light is also wired to a a domestic triple on the other side of the room with a shared common for two single way switches and the two way for the main light.  I want to replace the grid switches with a single, single way light switch for the hard wired lamps.

So...  The two way grid needs to go to double terminal block, wired in the off position and the switch on the triple, selotaped in the off position. Simple with the test meter.  The common needs to be maintained to keep the two other lights on the triple working.

And now I'm stuck!  Wiring the double pole to the single pole.  btw: there is no water in the room and breaker on the consumer unit is 6 amps for this room only.

I assume I take supply live and feed neutral and connect to L1 and com, the feed live and supply neutral go in a terminal block, one wire in each block to terminate and isolate.

Lives are red, feed has blue tape for ID.

Neutral supply is blue, feed is black.

Many thanks for reading to the end!