Replacing old doorbell transformer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim1326

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently installed a ring doorbell, however, didn’t think to check the voltage of my existing transformer which sadly turns it isn’t powerful enough as it needs to be at least 16v

I’ve bought a replacement, however, I could do with some help with the wiring as I’m not sure, based on my current transformer wiring, how it should go.

Pictures below thanks very much.

James

Attachments

• 6BC7D4C4-FD32-4C72-B0C5-84DB63C87551.jpeg
    6BC7D4C4-FD32-4C72-B0C5-84DB63C87551.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 701FEBF0-0B49-4B3F-81E6-AF185CB3970F.jpeg
    701FEBF0-0B49-4B3F-81E6-AF185CB3970F.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 32
As we look at the picture, mains goes in the bottom of the transformer, and your 16v comes out the top of the transformer. (The two outer connections)
You connect the ring doorbell according to it's instructions.

As we look at the picture, mains goes in the bottom of the transformer, and your 16v comes out the top of the transformer. (The two outer connections)
You connect the ring doorbell according to it's instructions.
Thanks, sorry maybe a stupid question but this is the first time in my self-taught DIY electrical work that I’ve come across wiring of 4x orange wires, helpfully all coming through the same hole behind the faceplate. I wired up the ring using their instructions (which is what the wago connector was used for), am I literally taking the 2 remaining connected wires to the old transformer on the right hand side and wiring them up to the new transformer? How can I tell of those cables which is live to go into the bottom of the new transformer?

Hi,

I recently installed a ring doorbell, however, didn’t think to check the voltage of my existing transformer which sadly turns it isn’t powerful enough as it needs to be at least 16v

I’ve bought a replacement, however, I could do with some help with the wiring as I’m not sure, based on my current transformer wiring, how it should go.

Pictures below thanks very much.

James

Are you sure...?

The Ring doorbells I have fitted state a supply between 8v to 24v is ok?

AND.. Have you put a meter across the outputs to see what the actual voltage is?
as you will probably find it is higher than the written values..
because the input voltage will probably be higher that the quoted 230v value..

And the output is proportional to the output...
Personally I would use the 12v tap output.. rather than the 16v connection..
as the output voltages are generally higher than the written values..

The UK nominal voltage is 230v -6% or +10%
which means you incoming supply could be anywhere between 216v & 253v..
which will alter the actual output voltages of your basic unregulated doorbell transformer..

None of your images actually show your existing transformer.. just the new transformer & the old doorbell..
The new transformer should simply replace the existing transformer..
with the existing bell by-passed..

ring doorbell psu.JPG

The colours of the wires (Orange, in this case) has to be all that who ever installed the doorbell had left, or was able to borrow from where they work. The colours mean nothing to me. (And two the same colour doesn't really help, but in this case its not too bad)

As a ring doorbell uses your wi-fi you do not need your existing doorbell, so you can connect the pair of cables from the transformer to the pair going to the ring doorbell. As they are all orange, you will either need to follow them or better still use a multi-meter (I guess you have not got a multi meter?)

The transformer being as it is a transformer is not polarity conscious. So long as the mains goes in the mains side and you connect the door bell to the 16v side (In this case) it matters not which way round the wires go. (Bearing in mind what I said first)

I am sure that the diode is only used if you are leaving the original doorbell in place and connected up.

As others have said you can bypass the bell completely. You have 2 wires coming from the ring doorbell, and 2 from the transformer.

Use the wago connectors to connect those together wire 1 from transformer to wire 1 from ring. Wire 2 to wire 2.

This will provide a direct supply to the doorbell.

Hope this helps.

That wiring made me wince! So dangerous not to identify the live and neutral wires. I hope Jim has isolated the mains supply before touching any of the wires. It seems that Jim's knowledge of electricity is not even at DIY level. Without a voltmeter he could invest in a neon screwdriver to identify the live wire but for safety this needs to be rewired by someone who knows what they are doing.

That wiring made me wince! So dangerous not to identify the live and neutral wires. I hope Jim has isolated the mains supply before touching any of the wires. It seems that Jim's knowledge of electricity is not even at DIY level. Without a voltmeter he could invest in a neon screwdriver to identify the live wire but for safety this needs to be rewired by someone who knows what they are doing.
You talk of safety then suggest a neon screwdriver!

I’ve pretty competently installed many electrical items/fittings/switches before, however, make no claim to be an expert when they go beyond standard earth, live and neutral wiring 🤷‍♂️ I didn’t install this initially, it was done by a so called electrical expert by which the wiring made you wince 😂 I am simply trying to decipher what they’ve done so I can fix it!

I am simply trying to decipher what they’ve done so I can fix it!
I can understand that, but without a multimeter (To ID what does what) you are going nowhere fast.
I heard about a BT (Yep, that long ago) engineer, who spent nearly two hours tracing a fault on a cable in a house, it was so bad he installed a new cable, it took just 45 minutes. Point being that sometimes it is quicker to start again than to figure out someone else's work.

Well none of that has much relevance at all...

as none of those orange wires need to have any live or neutral designation..
because it is an isolated AC doorbell supply..

It is NOT 230v mains wiring..

Some chance for Jim1326 to make much progress when miss-information such as this are being posted!!!

Jim asked "How can I tell of those cables which is live to go into the bottom of the new transformer?"
Apologies if I have mis-understood the question.
I have a similar bell box originally powered by 2 x 4.5V batteries which are difficult to obtain now.
My assumption was that someone has replaced the batteries with a bell transformer inside the bell box and this would need a 230V feed. If the transformer is mounted outside the bell box then the orange wires will be low voltage and the supply could be identified using a 12V bulb.

If you can figure out the wiring, I'd re-attach the chime. Unless you have Ring speakers in more places than one, you'll not hear the doorbell and need (more expensive than the chime) more Ring units spread around. Just my 2c worth.