Required: Dummy's Guide to installing conduit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTbangbang

Trainee DEI
Reaction score
A ring for a washroom is to be installed using surface mounted conduit and metal back boxes. Would someone please advise what the components are that I need to

a. connect the round conduit to a back box, and

b. connect lengths of conduit to each other

(confused by male and female adaptors - are both required?, couplers and compression glands ...who makes up these names?!)

Any other tips on how to arrange the installation would be much appreciated too. E.g. start the conduit run by running clipped cables from the CU to a blanked off back box?

Thank you,

TTbb

To join the conduit together you'll need to thread each end with a tap. The coupler is then used to join the threaded ends.

However if the conduit cannot be rotated you'll need to thread the conduit enough to thread the coupler all the way onto the conduit with a locknut as well. The other length is then offered up, with a locknut threaded onto it already, and the coupler unscrewed enough from the first length onto the second length to join them. The locknuts are then tightened up on either side to prevent the coupler from moving.

On the backboxes a male bush is used on the inside of the box to pass through the knockout, it is then screwed into the coupler, on the end of the length of conduit, as if it was the second piece of conduit as in my first example.

To join the conduit together you'll need to thread each end with a tap. The coupler is then used to join the threaded ends. However if the conduit cannot be rotated you'll need to thread the conduit enough to thread the coupler all the way onto the conduit with a locknut as well. The other length is then offered up, with a locknut threaded onto it already, and the coupler unscrewed enough from the first length onto the second length to join them. The locknuts are then tightened up on either side to prevent the coupler from moving.

On the backboxes a male bush is used on the inside of the box to pass through the knockout, it is then screwed into the coupler, on the end of the length of conduit, as if it was the second piece of conduit as in my first example.
Sorry to correct you but the term is "Thread each end with some Dies".

I say TT why are you using steel conduit ? Its not heavey industry. Whats wrong with PVC conduit ? Sounds like you are not used to installing conduit so I'm going to state what is called the " Bleedin' obvious" so don't take offence, it could save you much heartache. Install your conduit first, don't use inspection elbows use angle and tee boxes, then when wiring you want a fish tape and 6491X cable NOT TWIN & EARTH !!

Enjoy

As do I mate :)

(Great minds, and all that......)

As regards title of thread......

1. measure, fit and secure all conduit.

2. draw required no./sizes of wires in (as Theo says - singles!!!)

3. Connect accessories.

4. test & inspect.

The above applies to metal or pvc conduit.

?KO

HTH

KME

No requirement for 3 layers of insulation m8. Plus, why take up space in conduit required for air movement - capacities are worked on 6491 singles, without extra space taken up with another layer of insul...

Yes?

No requirement for 3 layers of insulation m8. Plus, why take up space in conduit required for air movement - capacities are worked on 6491 singles, without extra space taken up with another layer of insul...Yes?
I see.

If you were wiring a circuit in singles using 2.5mm what size would you use for the earth? Same size or smaller as in T&E?

I love conduit work - Metal & PVC. Ask me again in a few years though.

Sorry to correct you but the term is "Thread each end with some Dies".
Yes, you're quite right. That was a bit of a 'senior' moment! :_|

Many thanks for your responses :D Some great tips in there, really appreciated - I show my appreciation by knocking your scales ;)

I'm intending to use pvc conduit with metal back boxes. I would prefer to use metal but as Sirsparkabit says, the threading business puts me off.

Many thanks for your responses :D Some great tips in there, really appreciated - I show my appreciation by knocking your scales ;) I'm intending to use pvc conduit with metal back boxes. I would prefer to use metal but as Sirsparkabit says, the threading business puts me off.
one other point....

the bending spring for your corners etc.... make sure you have the correct size ......

I love conduit work - Metal & PVC. Ask me again in a few years though.
What , even screwing and threading 2" inch steel conduit back in the sixties and trying to set it . Before they all saw sense and used trunking. :_|

No thanks Admin you're welcome to it :_|