Requirements for Off grid Solar

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameslaurieuk

Reaction score
A local community garden is planning to install an off grid solar set off the shelf from Bimble solar. There are two panels, batteries and an inverter to provide 240v to charge phones and run some lights.
Are off grid setups covered by the wiring regs either specifically or generally?

A local community garden is planning to install an off grid solar set off the shelf from Bimble solar. There are two panels, batteries and an inverter to provide 240v to charge phones and run some lights.
Are off grid setups covered by the wiring regs either specifically or generally?
nope, they are nothing to do with BS7671.

I know it isn't the question you asked, but neither of those applications justify having an inverter, and can be more efficiently met from the battery.

I know it isn't the question you asked, but neither of those applications justify having an inverter, and can be more efficiently met from the battery.
There will be other applications such as charging laptops and power tool batteries and some of the cable runs for the lighting would have a lot of voltage drop at 12v. But you’re right, some of the applications could be done in 12v for efficiency.

That was my understanding but are there any refs that cover such an installation as the self generated electricity is still just as dangerous as grid power.
You could have a look at things like fair grounds / portable catering units, it caravans and boats.

I did a similar project for a stable block. Solar panels fed a battery via a charge controller, lighting was 12v off the battery via a set of fuses, 240v inverter provided power for tools and phones. You will need a pure sine wave inverter, and I would look for a unit that has some form of RCD protection built in, or connect standard accessories via a RCD. The inverter will probably want an earth rod. All this stuff is more like vehicle electrics than mains supply and more subject to manufacturers instructions than regs.

BS 7671 does not cover off-grid solar PV, but some of it may apply. If you are building an extension with BCO control he will insist sockets, wiring, etc conform to BS 7671. So best just go with the flow.

https://www.renewsolar.co.uk/compan...text=Applicability:,not connected to the grid).

can easily say BS7671 does apply...

110.1.1 regulations apply to dsign, erection & verification of electrical installations. meets that

110.1.3 exclusions from scope - there is nothing listed there which exclude it

definition of electrical installation is 'An assembly of associated electrical equipment having co-ordinated characteristics to fulfil specific purposes.' your solar easily meets that

section 712 applies to PV systems. there is no exclusion in there for off grid

BS 7671 does not cover off-grid solar PV, but some of it may apply. If you are building an extension with BCO control he will insist sockets, wiring, etc conform to BS 7671. So best just go with the flow.

https://www.renewsolar.co.uk/company-information/blog/delving-into-bs-7671-section-712-and-solar-panel-systems/#:~:text=Applicability:,not connected to the grid).
Yes I’m thinking to do the tests for an EIC and recording those so there is at least some record of the safety of the installation.

can easily say BS7671 does apply...

110.1.1 regulations apply to dsign, erection & verification of electrical installations. meets that

110.1.3 exclusions from scope - there is nothing listed there which exclude it

definition of electrical installation is 'An assembly of associated electrical equipment having co-ordinated characteristics to fulfil specific purposes.' your solar easily meets that

section 712 applies to PV systems. there is no exclusion in there for off grid
Interesting! This feels like a good interpretation of the refs to me.