retrain at 41 - too late?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt67

Reaction score
OK, I am 41 and thinking of retraining. I have worked for BT for 20 years and have a HNC in electrical/electronic engineering. I am looking at doing a 2 year C&G 2330 evening college course.

When I joined BT I thought it was a job for life but now sick of the management attitude, outsourcing of the work overseas and the way the firm is heading.

Realistically, have I left it too late?

OK, I am 41 and thinking of retraining. I have worked for BT for 20 years and have a HNC in electrical/electronic engineering. I am looking at doing a 2 year C&G 2330 evening college course.When I joined BT I thought it was a job for life but now sick of the management attitude, outsourcing of the work overseas and the way the firm is heading.

No you haven't mate. It is Never too late. Go for it!

OK, I am 41 and thinking of retraining. I have worked for BT for 20 years and have a HNC in electrical/electronic engineering. I am looking at doing a 2 year C&G 2330 evening college course.When I joined BT I thought it was a job for life but now sick of the management attitude, outsourcing of the work overseas and the way the firm is heading.

:) ........

I came back to the Electrical trade after a 28 year absence, went back to college at the age of 49...

Never too late (within reason)..

hi when i done my 17th there was a guy in the class he was 53 had been away from the trade 15 years made me feel great i am waiting to do my 2391

i am ONLY 49 in this trade we are always training

go for it and if you are like me you might even enjoy it

goodluck

Thanks for the advice guys - I will probably go for it but don't want to be stuck in a room full of 16/17 yr olds wasting time, and generally getting on my t1ts talking b****cks - X(

Yep, I am Mr. Grumpy and if I do it I want to be ion an environment conducive to learning after all I am paying for it

Go for it mate. As stated its never to late. I did the 2330 evening class a couple of years ago. Thought it would be full of 16/17 year olds IT WASNT

(they all go in the day) There was a really good mix of late 20s 30s 40s there

who all wanted to learn, rather than **** around.

Regards Stu

Go for it mate. As stated its never to late. I did the 2330 evening class a couple of years ago. Thought it would be full of 16/17 year olds IT WASNT(they all go in the day) There was a really good mix of late 20s 30s 40s there

who all wanted to learn, rather than **** around.

Regards Stu
Indeed there will be...

:p

Thanks for the advice guys - I will probably go for it but don't want to be stuck in a room full of 16/17 yr olds wasting time, and generally getting on my t1ts talking b****cks - X( Yep, I am Mr. Grumpy and if I do it I want to be ion an environment conducive to learning after all I am paying for it
Not grumpy at all, Mate. I was/am exactly the same. My reason is that I am paying for this course myself and I am there to learn and Pass my exams.

I too am doing it part time evenings and there are no 16/17 year olds in my group. In fact, I think The youngest is 33 years old.

Don't let that put you off as it nearly did - me. I am glad that I went for it. 1 More year left. :p

Sorry Stu @ #6 - I didn't see your post. :_|

I have just echoed, what you have said Mate.

And there I was thinking that I have had enough of the trade and i'm only 41.

I did similar at 50 - but went down the 2381 and 2391 route. The 2391 was an 8 week evening class and they let me do the 2381 exam on its own. This was a quick and cheap option - as I was unemployed at the time - and it led to a job.

If you've done HNC and an apprenticeship then pound to penny you will have done some domestic wiring course at some stage. The basics haven't changed that much! With your academic background you should walk the 17th edition - and with effort you will get the 2391.

In retrospect I would have liked a bit more up to date practical experience before I went out on the road - but if you are an engineer - then it will all come naturally to you, and a few months down the line you will wonder why you were worried.

Good luck

Dave

I was in a similar situation about 4 or 5 years ago. I have a HNC in electrical / electronic engineering and worked (17 years) as a civi for the MOD repairing avionic instrumentation. The balloon went up for redundancies, I applied and got accepted. When I left I did my 2381 (3 1/2 days) followed by my 2391 (4 1/2 days) - passed both first time! Had to travel (and stay over) in Rochdale for the duration - worst thing was that I stayed in a pub:( :(

After this I went self employed starting off with smaller jobs that I felt comfortable with and gradually doing bigger jobs. I mainly do domestic and small commercial work now although I have been offered some industrial and turned it down as I felt that I was not up to wiring a metal workshop with 3 phase welders and plasma cutters at that time. I would like to get some experience of Industrial work in the future though!!

I would say that if you can do the courses whilst still in your current job then that would be the best way also doing small jobs during the weekend to gain experience...

Whatever your decision I wish you good luck..

Oh yeh... I'm 37

Young one, you.. :D
I may still be young but I feel like a old man

My knees have gone my back aches and to top it all the shocks have taken its toll on my hair

I may still be young but I feel like a old man My knees have gone my back aches and to top it all the shocks have taken its toll on my hair
At almost 52, I still have a full set of hair (thinning slightly)....

B)

i'm thinking of a change but dont know what to do. need something that doesnt require heavy lifting or crawling about.

i'm thinking of a change but dont know what to do. need something that doesnt require heavy lifting or crawling about.
A desk job, perhaps a Call centre........

:_|

Extension see that you are 52 how many years do you think you have left in the trade

can you see yourself being able to do it a 65

don't see many tradesman at 60 on site