Retraining - Advice please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

77crew

Reaction score
Hello All,

Some advice from people who have hopefully been through a similar process please.

I worked as an industrial electrician up to the year 2000 and then took a job out of the industry. I am looking at retraining and picking up some work locally.

Previous qualifications from Apprentice to City and Guilds Part 1/Part 2/ C Certificate/ AM1 / AM2 / ONC /HNC Electrical Engineering. 

My aim is potentially to work domestically at first and then hopefully as things become more familiar, to take on some low level industrial work.

I have looked online about bridging courses etc but not sure how this fits with what level of Regs I trained with etc.

Any ideas on what courses/routes to take would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Dave

If you are looking at Domestic  work  you'll need to join one of the Domestic Installer Competent Persons  schemes .     You may not have heard of these being out of the industry .      Many domestic jobs are supposed to be notified to Local Building Control  ,  being assessed by one of the schemes  is the best way to do it  

I'd say you would  have no problem whatsoever in being accepted other than taking the 18th Regs edition  refresher course ,  I think they will insist on that .   

You other qualifications will  be more than enough I'd say .  

Having an Industrial background  ..do you have no experience in House Bashing at all .   ?     

I don't think you need to pay through the nose for any  "Bridging courses "  Mate  '   You are already a qualified Sparks !!! 

You need a couple of Domestic jobs under your belt to show to the assessor plus a variety of qualifying stuff which they all insist upon .   See list :-    

1) Relevant qualifications                 ( You have those) 

2)  Test instruments .             (  Ohmeter /insulation /RCD  &  Loop impedance  testers)     Do you have these ?

3)    Calibration  certs for the above meters. 

4)    Public Liability Insurance .  £2million cover.         Theres more but my keyboard is not responding  ....I can't type past this position . :C   

Keyboard back in action !!

5)  18th edition  Regulations.   ( £18 ) 

6)  A Health & Safety policy.

7)   Copy of   Electricity at Work Regulations.

8 )  Building Regs  , Approved Document  Part P    ( Download free) 

9)   A cheque for  approx  £450     and you're in !!!!!      

The  Domestic schemes to choose from  are :-

NICEIC

ELECSA

NAPITT  

STROMA  

Let us know on here  how you get on .

Last edited by a moderator: