rewire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean mac

Reaction score
hi i would just like to ask when u do a rewire of a domestic property do the regs state u have to fit smoke alarms

hi i would just like to ask when u do a rewire of a domestic property do the regs state u have to fit smoke alarms
Building regulations require NEW & refurbished buildings to be fitted with mains operated smoke detectors..

But the wiring regs only give guidance as to the type of circuit it is recommend to supply a smoke detector circuit from.

On a re-wire... if the property already has sufficient battery operated smoke alarms, I think there is NO obligation to have to put mains one in..

Unless it had three or more floors... e.g. loft conversion..

whereby you must put in mains powered interlinked smokes!

I am sure one of the others with contradict me in some appropriate manner if I am talking with me pant on me head:p:( :)

And "Welcome to the forum" from me too. :)

This is the best forumApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

Welcome Dean Mac to forum.

My views on mains smoke detectors and rewires is they should be put in. You are upgrading the electric's so they should be brought in line with todays standards. I always think if the worst should happen and a house were to catch on fire after you had rewired it even if it had nothing to do with electric's at least you would have done your bit to prevent anyone from losing there lives. I have got to quote for a rewire due to fire damage over the weekend. Fires do happen so for the extra cost you should put them in.

batty

Welcome Dean Mac to forum.My views on mains smoke detectors and rewires is they should be put in. You are upgrading the electric's so they should be brought in line with todays standards. I always think if the worst should happen and a house were to catch on fire after you had rewired it even if it had nothing to do with electric's at least you would have done your bit to prevent anyone from losing there lives. I have got to quote for a rewire due to fire damage over the weekend. Fires do happen so for the extra cost you should put them in.

batty
wellsaid

Welcome Dean Mac to forum.My views on mains smoke detectors and rewires is they should be put in. You are upgrading the electric's so they should be brought in line with todays standards. I always think if the worst should happen and a house were to catch on fire after you had rewired it even if it had nothing to do with electric's at least you would have done your bit to prevent anyone from losing there lives. I have got to quote for a rewire due to fire damage over the weekend. Fires do happen so for the extra cost you should put them in.

batty
Indeed so batty.. ;)

Lets face it... the cost of cable and pulling it in is negligible if you are pulling in new lighting cables anyway...

(still got to lift that bit of floor)..

So mostly just the cost of the detectors & a bit of time to connect & test them...

In reality not much more than