Ring Final - Circuit of 8 or bad practice?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyboy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Performed an EICR today in a 2 bed flat.
The consumer unit appears to have been relocated in the last few years from a small cupboard so that a combi boiler could be fitted.
Whoever moved the consumer unit did a :poop: job at it.
They have fitted an isolator where the consumer unit was and run 16mm tails to the new location, around 5 metres away.
No glands or grommets used on junction boxes or isolator.
The main issue I had was that when carrying out end to end tests on the ring final circuits (from the consumer unit) I noticed that the values were minimal.
I decided to open up a junction box where some of the circuits had been extended and found a mess - the rings had been connected in choc blocks and extended with 2x 2.5mm to the board. Is this against regs as it's figure of 8 or just bad practice?
I can see it'll definitely trip up the next inspector and so I'd like to at least put a C3 to improve and put a Wiska relocation box or similar.

What's your thoughts?

Images attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0961.JPG
    IMG_0961.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0959.JPG
    IMG_0959.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 41
So the ring is a lollipop circuit.

Did you disconnect at the chic block and do continuity tests?
Yes, but figuring out which circuit is which took longer than I would've liked.

Would you code this at all or is it just one of those things?

Just read some more about it online - lollipop or hybrid ring/radial circuits...

https://professional-electrician.co...ermissible to form,a single point of supply'.

It is permissible to form a hybrid ring/radial circuit, even though BS 7671 defines a ring final circuit as: ‘A final circuit arranged in the form of a ring and connected to a single point of supply’.

I'll comment on it on the report for any future spark which comes along but don't think this warrants a code.

You had to disconnect it to test it I would have rectified it there and then using Wagos or similar saves the hassle of Coding or explaining it.

You had to disconnect it to test it I would have rectified it there and then using Wagos or similar saves the hassle of Coding or explaining it.

Not sure I agree with this. Its a lollipop and if confirmed doesn't need any rectification.

A C3 maybe - but definitely a comment on the EICR

Sounds like you have C2's to resolve on another visit too.

It is a ring final which has been extended with a pair of cables just reconnect it making a note on the Report is pointless just sort it. Has the day of people just putting simple things right gone and they would rather make notes which probably wouldn't be clearly explained anyway.

It is a ring final which has been extended with a pair of cables just reconnect it making a note on the Report is pointless just sort it. Has the day of people just putting simple things right gone and they would rather make notes which probably wouldn't be clearly explained anyway.

While I appreciate that I could've simply rectified the issue there and then, I have been paid to undertake an EICR on the current state of the installation, not to fix little snags while doing so.
If I fix all the little snags I come across while testing and inspecting, then I'd probably be losing money as a business.

If it were a friend or relative, obviously things would be different.

While I appreciate that I could've simply rectified the issue there and then, I have been paid to undertake an EICR on the current state of the installation, not to fix little snags while doing so.
If I fix all the little snags I come across while testing and inspecting, then I'd probably be losing money as a business.

But you had to disconnect it and then faff about trying to get it back into those connectors, a connection which may not now be sound. I am not suggesting you correct all minor issues you come across but let's face it you were half way there. I would rather correct the issue and as I said you were half way there rather than ponce about writing notes which probably make no sense to the next person who tries to decipher it. Be professional and take pride in what you do.

Well clearly that is bordering on the "Utter Tosh" concept of electrical work...

e.g.
It is impossible to know exactly how long any EICR will take as you will NEVER know what you will find...!

AND..
ALWAYS treat Friends and/or Family EXACTLY the same as EVERY other customer..
Otherwise.. far too many customers can become friends of friends and you loose out here there & everywhere..
some problems can be rectified relatively easily..

SO..
It is best to build your quotes/costings to meet several of the most common extras that are very likely to crop up..

Well clearly that is bordering on the "Utter Tosh" concept of electrical work...

e.g.
It is impossible to know exactly how long any EICR will take as you will NEVER know what you will find...!

AND..
ALWAYS treat Friends and/or Family EXACTLY the same as EVERY other customer..
Otherwise.. far too many customers can become friends of friends and you loose out here there & everywhere..
some problems can be rectified relatively easily..

SO..
It is best to build your quotes/costings to meet several of the most common extras that are very likely to crop up..
When I used to do EICRs/PIRs that is how I priced, to fix any small simple things as I went,
broken light switch, replace the bonding clamp the plumber had left hanging off, earth hanging out of a terminal etc,