Ring Main Extension WagoBox and Wagos

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spark101

Reaction score
Hello after some help with an extension of a 32a ring main. I am looking to use two wagoboxs one for each leg of the ring. In each box I would use:

773 -173 41A connections for the Live and Neutral which are both 2.5 mm cables. 

222 - 413 24A connections for the Earth cable which is a 1.5mm cable. 

This would then in theory de rate the box to 20A which is the minimum allowed for a joint on a ring main.

in theory the Live and Neutral would only be de rated to 32A however due to the use of a 222 connection the over all rating would drop to 20A. 

Would this then make the installation MF and comply with the regs? 

Happy to discuss! 

Thanks Murdoch I think I have found the answer here 

https://www.tradesparky.com/ecommerce/downloadasset?productAssetId=121431

These appear to be designed for all purposes including the extension of rings.  

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to work on the comment above?

It is the wagobox guidance. I appear to have the 41A cooker extension clips which are obviously now rather excessive however they will still work well and fit the cables.

From everything I have read as long as installed correctly the wagobox will become Maintenance Free (MF) and form a safe and reliable joint that meets the British Standards?  

Had a look at the box you mentioned. Seems a good bit of kit! 

Had a look at the box you mentioned. Seems a good bit of kit! 

I prefer them because the enclosure is fixed to "something" and the cables are held in place inside the enclosure and then the connections are push fit ......... that is a far more effective solution than a wago box hanging around under a floor or where ever

Give them a try - they also do the J804 for lighting / smaller cables with 4 connections

I would be screwing the wago box down so they would be two fixed points. 

Also aware that the ring usually pulls 16A on each leg if evenly balanced but just wanted the box to be highly rated. Would rather be overly cautious and build in protection. 

Just wondered if anyone has ever used these to extend a ring in a domestic installation?

I use the wago boxes all the time. Never had an issue. They provide various fixing options, screw through the box body itself or use the little mounting lug that comes with them.

The boxes are different depending what connectors you're using so match them up correctly. A cable tie through the slots as per the manufacturers instructions and it's maintenance free. 

The rubber cable grips secure the cables very well and you should be securing the box and securing the cables anyway. Therefore there is virtually no chance of them being pulled/stress on the terminals in the connectors.

They've been unofficially tested to death by various people and take something daft like 150 amps before they melt.

And lets be honest anything from a reputable manufacturer is better than the millions of poorly made off traditional joint boxes that are sat hidden under floors and buried under insulation in lofts, and that no doubt countless DIYers and electricians are still installing.

Last edited by a moderator: