Ring Main Info Please.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chimpchoker

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Tis chimpchoker here and I often wondered why the Part P was introduced but one thing I've learnt from reading some of these posts on this forum shows exactly why electrics needed taking out of DIY hands. I know nowt about electrics but even I can see how stupid some of the questions are, hopefully mine arn't.

Anyway, here goes.

My house needs a full re wire of which, if I'm honest could have been done last year but lack of money ( near bancrupt) put paid to that. Anyway this last week my consumer unit has been tripping off on one particular 3 pin socket. It's a socket we don't usually use but i've been doing the ironing and it kept tripping when the iron needed to get hotter.

A sparky was in our street so I asked him to look at it and he said it looked ok and put the face plate back on and left.

Never thought anything more really blaming the iron until I used this plug again whilst the lights were on and it tripped the consumer unit again but the lights went out downstairs and three of the lights upstairs.

From what i, as a novice can estimate is the socket in question is on one of the lighting circuits but even if that's not bad enough it trips all the lights downstairs and some of the lights upstairs whillst some of the sockets downstairs are still live when the single fuse (??) for "downstairs sockets" in the consumer panel is tripped to the "OFF" postion.

I was also refixing some floorboards and as one was loose I looked under it and there is a stranded wire that is bare and silver to look at. It's still in use as it can be traced to the area of a nearby socket. I think this could be the original earth wire from the house build in 1953.

What upsets me a great deal is that in the last year we got an electric over and hob installed and 3 downlighters in the bathroom by a qualified electrician ( I got his number from a trade supplier) and I've since found out that he had covered the downlighters with the loft insulation and they had no fire hoods on them ( and he drilled the middle of the wall to get the cooker cable from the consumer box).

I like to know how things work to help stop being ripped off so I am doing research hence my membership here but something I can't find out is the max number of 3 pin sockets allowed on a ring main.

Obviously the sockets ring main cannot be more than 100m2 in floor area, has to be 32A,  2.5mm twin and earth with each ring main having a seperate "fuse" in the consumer unit but the number of sockets allowed ??

I think  it's down to the ampage drawn over the ciruit but I don't know what that is or how it's tested. I don't have any of the rules and regs.  I've seen on some web site that it's advisable to have no more than 4 sockets in the living room, 3 in the dining room and 4 in the kitchen but build regs say less than all of those figures.

So the question after a long winded explination is this. 

Is there a maximum amount of single or double sockets on a seperate ring main such as downstairs sockets, upstairs sockets, kitchen sockets etc.

TIA,

Chimpy.

No you can have as many as you like.

4 socket in a living room............. :slap

I've got 5 doubles just behind the tv

Hi folks,

Tis chimpchoker here and I often wondered why the Part P was introduced but one thing I've learnt from reading some of these posts on this forum shows exactly why electrics needed taking out of DIY hands. I know nowt about electrics but even I can see how stupid some of the questions are, hopefully mine arn't.

Anyway, here goes.

My house needs a full re wire of which, if I'm honest could have been done last year but lack of money ( near bancrupt) put paid to that. Anyway this last week my consumer unit has been tripping off on one particular 3 pin socket. It's a socket we don't usually use but i've been doing the ironing and it kept tripping when the iron needed to get hotter.

A sparky was in our street so I asked him to look at it and he said it looked ok and put the face plate back on and left.

Never thought anything more really blaming the iron until I used this plug again whilst the lights were on and it tripped the consumer unit again but the lights went out downstairs and three of the lights upstairs.

From what i, as a novice can estimate is the socket in question is on one of the lighting circuits but even if that's not bad enough it trips all the lights downstairs and some of the lights upstairs whillst some of the sockets downstairs are still live when the single fuse (??) for "downstairs sockets" in the consumer panel is tripped to the "OFF" postion.

I was also refixing some floorboards and as one was loose I looked under it and there is a stranded wire that is bare and silver to look at. It's still in use as it can be traced to the area of a nearby socket. I think this could be the original earth wire from the house build in 1953.

What upsets me a great deal is that in the last year we got an electric over and hob installed and 3 downlighters in the bathroom by a qualified electrician ( I got his number from a trade supplier) and I've since found out that he had covered the downlighters with the loft insulation and they had no fire hoods on them ( and he drilled the middle of the wall to get the cooker cable from the consumer box).

I like to know how things work to help stop being ripped off so I am doing research hence my membership here but something I can't find out is the max number of 3 pin sockets allowed on a ring main.

Obviously the sockets ring main cannot be more than 100m2 in floor area, has to be 32A,  2.5mm twin and earth with each ring main having a seperate "fuse" in the consumer unit but the number of sockets allowed ??

I think  it's down to the ampage drawn over the ciruit but I don't know what that is or how it's tested. I don't have any of the rules and regs.  I've seen on some web site that it's advisable to have no more than 4 sockets in the living room, 3 in the dining room and 4 in the kitchen but build regs say less than all of those figures.

Is there a maximum amount of single or double sockets on a seperate ring main such as downstairs sockets, upstairs sockets, kitchen sockets etc.

TIA,

Chimpy.
ok, apart from the bit I have highlighted, simply for the fact that I have NO idea where you heard that from, its complete and utter misinformed rubbish,

quite a lot of the rest of your post is actually a good example of

a little knowledge is dangerous,

not knocking you, but, would you defend yourself in court on a murder charge simply because you know the bit of law that says you are only supposed to do 70mph on a motorway.???

There is no reason to wire a socket circuit as a ring,,, it can be more practical to wire them as radials.. You really need to think about the loads before designing a circuit... Bedrooms and living rooms tend to use next to ****** all when you think about it

The regs don't state a maximum number of sockets that a ring or any other circuit may have... There is some guidance that states how many sockets any particular room should have... IMHO an living room should have a double in each corner and adjacent to the door and an extra 1 or 2 being the TV.. If there's a long wall then I'd put one every 3m

Hi folks,

nothing wrong with your questions - most of the stupid questions here are from 'electricians' who try to do a job they know nothing about. yes, your question is a lot more basic than theirs, but at least your only looking for advice and not wanting to know how to do your job whilst charging customers for your knowledge / experience

if the power keeps tripping when iron is on / heating up, then its most likely the iron thats faulty. did you mention this to the electrician when he checked the socket? it would be very easy to test the iron to confirm if it was that

it is possible that when it trips (probably the RCD) that it will affect other circuits. or it could be that some lights have been wired as fused spurs from the sockets

your downlights should not be covered in insulation, but if you live in a house, then there is usually no need for fire hoods

there is no max number of sockets  - put in as many as you like. if its getting rewired, best to put in more than you think you need. it doesnt have to be wired as a ring either. i usually only wire a ring for kitchen. rest of house is on radials

Try the iron in a DIFFERENT socket.  If it still trips, throw the iron away and buy a new one.

As several circuits trip at the same time, I am assuming it's not an mcb tripping, but an RCD, which again points to a probably earth leakage fault on the iron.

Anyway this last week my consumer unit has been tripping off on one particular 3 pin socket. It's a socket we don't usually use but i've been doing the ironing and it kept tripping when the iron needed to get hotter.

Never thought anything more really blaming the iron until I used this plug again whilst the lights were on and it tripped the consumer unit again but the lights went out downstairs and three of the lights upstairs.......

.........I like to know how things work to help stop being ripped off so I am doing research hence my membership here but something I can't find out is the max number of 3 pin sockets allowed on a ring main.

TIA,

Chimpy.

You don't say what was actually tripping off.....

Was it an MCB or RCD...

Your problem maybe simply a bit of damaged cable squashed in the back of an accessory somewhere...

that has some insulation softening as the conductors warm up as you draw more power.

What you actually need first of all is, is a proper test on the circuit to establish the probably cause..

NOT guess work based on unqualified assumptions...

Sockets on ring mains & sockets per room..  your comment

"I've seen on some web site that it's advisable to have no more than 4 sockets in the living room, 3 in the dining room and 4 in the kitchen but build regs say less than all of those figures."

is complete and utter twaddle!!!

The only guidance is for MINIMUM numbers of sockets NOT maximum!!! 

SOCKETS.jpg

Re:-

.........I like to know how things work to help stop being ripped off so I am doing research hence my membership here but something I can't find out is the max number of 3 pin sockets allowed on a ring main.

In all honesty you are going to have to do one hell of a lot of research and reading of the wiring regs to gain a better understanding of the realities of electrical installation work...

as from your post you haven't really grasped anything correctly yet...

the best and safest way when anyone is out of there depth is to seek independent advice...

internet forums whist having their uses...

CANNOT correct evaluate your situation as we cannot see your actual installation!

The age old advice from well before the internet age is still true..

Get three independent electricians to come and asses your problem and give a quote for any remedial works required...

Ask friends/family/work colleague if they can recommend anyone

Get an agreement in writing....

Look for an electrician who has only been trading for several years who is happy to give referneces...

Don't pay all the money up front until you are happy with the completed work!!

All of the above are basic common sense that loads of customers forget to do then moan they have been ripped off!!!!!

An additional tip since PART P has flooded the industry with 5WW is...

Don't pick someone who has only been in the trade since Part P was introduced.. (2005/6)

as they could be a quick short course paper qualified but negligible knowledge person!

As has been commented earlier..

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....

Your limited knowledge and limited budget could well be the catalyst for the wrong solution to the wrong problem at the wrong price!!!

so first of all ..

GET THE SUSPECT CIRCUITS PROPERLY TESTED!!

oh and BS7671 wiring regulations are GUIDANCE for good practice..

NOT as set of rules that must be followed!

and every installation is unique and individual.. so what is done on one may not be done on another

:coffee

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies.

I always look for time served tradesmen ( and women to be PC) and I appreciate that most of you want to protect your trade from the inexperienced ( and dangerous ) people of which I include myself in the former. I was only asking for advice so I had a bit of knowledge so I could ask relevent questions of an electrician such as different tyypes of lights for different areas, number of sockets, position of said sockets etc so that it would not need altering for a good few years.

I honestly thought that the sockets were on a ring main but obviously not.

You might not like to admit it but for every certified, cosher electrical tradesman there is a lot of people who think they are. Thankfully I am not one of those. I wouldn't try to install a gas pipe so why would I think I could install an electrical circuit that could end up with me "MURDERING" someone...

You know, I got a roofer round to give me a quote for a few tiles to be replaced. He climbed up on the roof and I was with his mate on the floor. He said,

" oh you need 10 tiles and a ridge tile" moving his hand up and down as if it was going into a cracked ridge tile.

I replied to his mate

"Oh I see. Mind you when I was on the roofs I used that trick as well." ( i've never ever been on a roof).

He shouted up to the roofer and relayed what I had just said. The roofer, who is a big name in my town got down and said it would be about £800 and he was too busy to do it..... was the ridge tile bust and did I call his bluff ? I don't know because it hasn't been done yet but the electrical trades are no different, sorry if you think they are.

It was that I was using the iron in a different socket that showed up the problem. I would have liked to do the chasing work and run the sockets cable up stairs and down stairs and also in the kitchen because that is the most expensive and time consuming part and it is something that can be done over a weekend or two moving furniture around whilst living in the house.

Having read the replies to my introduction post I understand why electricians do the chopping out, pitty they don't do the plastering as well.

I guess in the grand scheme of things if the quotes I've had so far circa £4.5k for a 3 bed semi and garage are anything to go by then another £150 for a B&B and a couple of £100's for a storage locker  for a week is not that much for a proffessional job.

As for where I got my info regarding number of sockets etc it was on sites I read last night. Actually I thought it was on here but I can't find it but I will trawl the net to find the info.

Thanks,

Chimpy.

I can't post links here yet but I have found the ring main info

Also the 32a / 2.5mm wire was on this very forum  but I need to find the post in my history folder.

Thanks for the replies.

It was that I was using the iron in a different socket that showed up the problem.

Chimpy.
Are you saying the the iron only trips some sockets not others?

Exactly WHAT trips?  An mcb (looks like just a switch to the uninitiated) or an RCD (that as well as the switch has a little "test" button as well)

Does anything else "trip" when plugged into the same socket that trips with the iron being used?

hi pro Dave,

The iron only trips this one socket so my thoughts were the socket not the iron. Tested the iron in other sockets and one upstairs landing tripped. I tried and succeeded in charging an I pod in both sockets that the Iron  had tripped previously. I then tried a warm air heater of 3Kw and that tripped the downstairs original problem socket and another socket  in the front room but not the one upstairs landing.

The unit under the stairs that "trips" are both the main RCD switch but also the 32A downstairs socket switch and the 6A upstairs lights switch cut out. ( These are the black toggle type switches on each "breaker" that enables you to isolate individual circuits.

I thought it might be loose wires etc because of the intermittent problems but the leccy checked the socket out and the wires were tight. 

What it does do is confirms I need the re wire urgently because I don't want to "murder " anyone as someone up top likes to say frequently. 

Thanks for the replies. I think what I need to do is sit down with a paper and pencil (only qualified electricians can use pens) and start at say the front door and write down what i would like in each given area such as low energy 7w led downlighter in porch then go through the house room  by room then get a number of quotes from long established electricians and pick the best one  which might not always be the cheapest.

take care,

Chimpy.

That is a very wise way to do it...

You never know, if you ask them they may even be open to let you do a large part of the donkey work.... But expect stage payments if they're going to have a break in their work

What you need is a proper electrician to have a proper look and do some testing.  It sounds like the "sparky" just took the plate off, checked the screws were tight and put it back again.

I am still suspicious of the iron itself being faulty, but a competent electrician will test that if you ask him to.

I myself personally would be more than happy for a customer to do the donkey work, ie, chasing walls, lifting floorboards etc,

I pull all cables in myself.

in fact ive done quite a few rewires like this, I  really dont have the time, the inclination, or the want, to do the labouring if I can help it,

but, as has been said, just because you 'appear to be/think you are' doing half the work, dont expect the bill to half,

TBH on an average rewire at a domestic property the actual time spent chasing walls is not that high compared with the pulling cables, fixing accessories connecting & testing etc...

A lot of rewire cables will be going into existing channels...

excluding any additional sockets or if moving a light switch...

over 75% of floorboards you need to lift will have probably been previously lifted in the past for pipes or other cables.... 

And it is the moving of furniture and containment of mess that takes more time.....

If you are in an unfurnished house 1 days worth of chasing would probably cut 99% of the cable routes needed...

so doing a bit of wall chasing is not going to knock the bill down by half!

maybe £200 +/-£50!

Guinness

Again thanks for the replies.

The house was built in 1953 and so a lot of the plaster is blown anyway so it will be going back to bare brick. My initial thought was to be able to put the wires in approximatly the  right areas whilst the furniture is out and the leccy is on ( i've done back to brick with a bolster and hammer ... never again) then go room by room with the plaster removal have the new wires conected then remove all the old wire so only the new wires remain.

There is one or two boards loose but the vast majority of them were replaced about 8 years ago after a new CH system was put in. We did think about a rewire but no money and it was winter, lol.

To close this topic off what I intend to do is this.

Decide what I would like / need from an electrical install.

Contact at least 4 sparkies of long standing reputation.

Check their work recomendations.

Choose the correct electrician NOT just the cheapest.

Move out of the house completely for a week.

store all contents out of house

remove all carpets

take the plaster back to brick

on the appointed day open the door and ask the two important questions which are

1 are there any vegitarians ( for bacon and sausage sarnies)

2 what are the prefered drinks ( tea, coffee, juice, sugar sweetner.

reinstate the house

Report back here....

Anything else?

If you are replastering then I personally would have the ceilings down especially if you are clearing the house. This should make the job a fair bit cheaper granted they will need retacking but it will save a hell of a lot of time. also your floorboards won't get ruined. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts