Ring main return cable route

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just one point nobody seems to have picked up on is sure the highlighted run is outside of prescribed zones!
OK, good observation, there's no socket there which means it's not a safe zone. What's way round that?

OK, good observation, there's no socket there which means it's not a safe zone. What's way round that?
Or drop down vertical from sockets come out and the wall and surface clip behind the cabinets, then back in the wall up vertical to the next socket. I did this when I had a window in the way.

Safe zone does not apply in this case, the straight no slack way the T&E has been run its never going to be terminated into a socket anyway.

Which questions are naive and which ones are dangerous? Specifics please

Naive
Not knowing how to run a ring main
Not knowing how to "get around" the issue of a cable in a wall where it would not be expected by sticking another socket there
Running cables through a 25mm box and reducing available space
Running cable as per pic through boxes with not enough cable to,connect

Dangerous
Not knowing the cable,on the return pillar was not in a safe zone

I may well be wrong as I'm fairly new to this, but.....

I'm getting my coat now, someone else will be along shortly

Just saying

Naive
Not knowing how to run a ring main
Not knowing how to "get around" the issue of a cable in a wall where it would not be expected by sticking another socket there
Running cables through a 25mm box and reducing available space
Running cable as per pic through boxes with not enough cable to,connect

Dangerous
Not knowing the cable,on the return pillar was not in a safe zone

I may well be wrong as I'm fairly new to this, but.....

I'm getting my coat now, someone else will be along shortly

Just saying
You make me laugh with your assumptions.
Wrong: Not knowing how to run a ring main
Are you saying Mike.J is wrong? Not knowing how to "get around" the issue of a cable in a wall where it would not be expected by sticking another socket
Not an issue: Running cables through a 25mm box and reducing available space
Obviously you still don't understand that is one leg of the ring, and was for demonstration purposes: Running cable as per pic through boxes with not enough cable to,connect.

Last edited:
Thank you to all who provided constructive feedback.
And to the cynics in this forum for making the thread amusing.

From your days things have evolved. There are generally 2 types of electricians Commercial and Housebashers.
To be a housebasher you don't even need to be an electrician, you don't even need an ECS card but you have to know the zones and wiring a two way switch is the most complicated circuit you deal with.
you don't need to be registered at all to do commercial, and I've seen plenty of crap work in both sectors.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please respect other people's opinions. This is supposed to be a friendly and helpful forum. I have locked it before it turns into a "slanging match"

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts