Round pin sockets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedro

Reaction score
When putting a socket in the lighting ring (e.g. for above cupboard lighting in the kitchen), what type of socket should be used? A normal 13A socket or a round-pin socket?

And if a round pin socket, what current is usual - I've seen both 2A and 5A (the draw in this case is going to be low because it will only feed about 110W of lights).

Thanks

When putting a socket in the lighting ring (e.g. for above cupboard lighting in the kitchen), what type of socket should be used? A normal 13A socket or a round-pin socket? And if a round pin socket, what current is usual - I've seen both 2A and 5A (the draw in this case is going to be low because it will only feed about 110W of lights).

Thanks
Pedro..

5A round pin will be fine..

13A is certainly not a problem, but fit a 3A fuse in the plug and label the plug so.

Don

***" What is a "lighting ring"????? ****Keske say "plug and socket?"

Whafu?
I have actually saw this one time,

where the old boy reckoned he had done a major electrical improvement in making his lights a ring!!!!

ho hum, each to their own,

I didnt want to downhearten him and say anything. :|

Hi guys. Thanks for the responses. Sorry I'm not using the right terminology (lighting rings etc). The godfather gave me the answer I needed - all I'm doing is buying the stuff ahead of the electrician coming to fit it all. Why plugs and sockets - because I'm going to have the over cabinet lights in my kitchen plugged in to a socket above the cabinets for reasons best known to my kitchen designer.

With all respect to the designer - If I fit undercabinet / display lighting in a refurb or new kitchen, I use the lighting circuit, and modify the main light switch (extra way) to switch them all on from one point. We have found, from experience, that those who don`t because " the lights have got switches on them", don`t end up using them because it`s too fiddly.