Running a pool pump from internal socket

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KylePZ

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you're enjoying the weather - I'm trying to but have a few concerns about health & safety with regards to running a pool pump and I was wondering if you'd be able to advise me on the best way forward?

I bought an over ground pool and I need to run the pump 8-12 hours a day. I have no outdoor electrical sockets so my plan was to enclose the pump to protect it from the weather, having the electrical cable running from that enclosure through my cat flat up to a wall socket in my kitchen.

My friends have kinda shot down this idea as being dangerous, which might be obvious to everyone but me! Apparently water/condensation can travel up the cable/into the socket? Given UK weather, the cable would be subject to rain more often than not.

Ideally I'm looking to avoid making any changes as it seems the costs will be prohibitive for the sake of a few days soaking in a pool in what little summer days we have left. My last resort is to forego using the pump and just set it up for one weekend's use at a time.

My boss recently rented a hot tub and he had it running for 4 days with a cable going into an internal socket (pump and extension sockets enclosed). Not sure if this is a long term solution though...

Please can you let me know if this is doable, or doable with minor/free-cheap modifications to this plan?

Thank you.

None of your friends are electricians then?

Absolute nonsense. Same would apply to any outdoor cable in any socket.

Hi guys, thanks for replying. My friends aren't electricians but are concerned for my safety (and their safety if they get in the pool). You have a point that I'd have the same 'problem' with cable going to an outside socket. But a rain-soaked cable still doesn't sound like a good thing, but if electrical cables are by default insulated enough then I guess it should be fine...

Latest posts