running cables through accessory boxes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonpig

Reaction score
Hello all:D, i know its acceptable/complys with the regs to run cables through accessory boxes (i mean where the cable isnt terminated in the outlet) for example the return leg of a ring, but is it ok to run cables from a different circuit through the accessory.

The case i am thinking of is running a spur form a ring in a partition wall, but running the cable through the light switch back box (which is not a cavity box but a metal clad fixed to a noggin). The new spurred socket will be located very close to the light switch (as requested), and i could drop the cable down from the loft and through the light switch back box easily enough, which would save ripping apart the partion wall and patching it afterwards.

Does what i am suggesting sound acceptable and comply with regs?

Does it comply but is considered bad working practice?

If so what would you suggest is the best plan of attack?

I think this was discussed somewhere before.

I can't recall the final outcome 100%. But some argued it was bad practice, others argued that it wasn't. (Not much help to you, I know).

If there was no other way out of it for whatever reason, I would run it through the backbox and where it is actually in the backbox, I would put a label on it clearly stating what it is for.

:|

would it be possible to carefully take out the switch box and feed the cable through the hole, possibly tucking the cable to one side so that the box can go back afterwards.

Hello all:D, i know its acceptable/complys with the regs to run cables through accessory boxes (i mean where the cable isnt terminated in the outlet) for example the return leg of a ring, but is it ok to run cables from a different circuit through the accessory.The case i am thinking of is running a spur form a ring in a partition wall, but running the cable through the light switch back box (which is not a cavity box but a metal clad fixed to a noggin). The new spurred socket will be located very close to the light switch (as requested), and i could drop the cable down from the loft and through the light switch back box easily enough, which would save ripping apart the partion wall and patching it afterwards.

Does what i am suggesting sound acceptable and comply with regs?

Does it comply but is considered bad working practice?

If so what would you suggest is the best plan of attack?
I wouldn`t have an issue with this; as long as the circuit in question was rated to travel with your power circuit (i.e. a telephone, audio or data cable, fire or smoke alarm would NOT).

My opinion, anyway :) :) :)

I would'nt have an issue with this; as long as the circuit in question was rated to travel with your power circuit (i.e. a telephone, audio or data cable, fire or smoke alarm would NOT).My opinion, anyway :) :) :)
The Godfather agrees, my boys use this method on odd occasions, for convenience of routing circuits (same rating cables), where outlets are in close proximity.

Labels would be good practice for identification purposes.

Don

just do it man, no need to worry so much

if you ELV cable was screened then that solves it. I do some times just bend the cable around the wallbox, instead of going through it.

I can,t see problem with this. I run other cables up same conduits ie to smoke detectors etc as kme says as long as they are at 240v there is no problem.

batty

Cheers guys, i have done this before myself but when the cables in question are all on the same circuit, but like you said as both the cables are rated to 240v there is no problems:D, i just needed to hear you fine gentlemen and say the words;).

As far as bending the cable round the backbox goes it shouldnt be to much of a problem to do so because the back box is metal clad fixed to a nogin, so after removeing the backbox any making good needed will be small/easy enough:D.

Cheers guys, i have done this before myself but when the cables in question are all on the same circuit, but like you said as both the cables are rated to 240v there is no problems:D, i just needed to hear you fine gentlemen and say the words;).As far as bending the cable round the backbox goes it shouldnt be to much of a problem to do so because the back box is metal clad fixed to a nogin, so after removeing the backbox any making good needed will be small/easy enough:D.
Indeed sir! ;)

As I think someone else said this concept can often occur in a conduit situation e.g. small workshop/shed/garage..

radial socket & lights..

3 x 2.5mm

3 x 1.0mm or 1.5mm

all going though conduit boxes & accessory boxes as required..

In a wall situation if talking lighting & socket circuits probably easier to identify cuz of the physical different cable sizes..

Probably greatest hazards where two circuits of same size cable are used..

This would be where labels or other suitable identification may be beneficial.! :)

Yeah that is a very good point about trunking/conduit systems;), i should of realised that myself X( .

Ah specs my good man have you been avoiding me;) :D :^O, oh well its good to have you back on board again:x, :D , i will warn you though i steer a steady ship;) :^O .

In a wall situation if talking lighting & socket circuits probably easier to identify cuz of the physical different cable sizes..Probably greatest hazards where two circuits of same size cable are used..

This would be where labels or other suitable identification may be beneficial.!
I couldnt agree more mate, also the socket is to supply the TV which is very close to the light switch meaning that the socket will be very close, and since it is a partition wall it wouldnt take a great deal of investigation to figure it all out.

radial socket & lights..

3 x 2.5mm

3 x 1.0mm or 1.5mm

all going though conduit boxes & accessory boxes as required..
Well brace yourself here comes a stupid question.

I have never been asked/needed to do such an installation (hopefully it wont be long though:D), but would i be right to think that in such an instalation apart from the lighting points you can just drop down the individual circuit cables to switches/sockets? (if you understand what i mean? :| )

Even if all the cables have the same insulation rating,cables to fire alarm systems must always be installed seperately from all other systems, its part of the fire regs.