Running cables under glued down chipboard

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIY GUY

Reaction score
I’m looking to re route a sky cable & a Ariel cable from one side of the room to the other without being clipped around all the skirting board. My plan was to go under the floor boards in crawl space as my laminate is lifted but I’ve only got 1ft suspended floor. I may be able to fish cables from one side of the room to the other (still to find out). As I don’t want to lift every single floorboard am I safe to lay the cables flat on the dry crawl space or would I be safer running them both through 25mm conduct.

Try and clip them off the floor if you can. Depending on the construction there may be a dwarf wall or two to get over on the way under there.

Another alternative is aerial cables don't have to follow the same rules as electric cables so if you are taking the skirting off you could route them behind that before you replace it. DO NOT run mains cables that way.

Skirting is off. But plaster board is tightly fitted to the chipboard with only a small space. Could I run Ariel cable & sky cable tight together in gap around wall before I fit skirting?

You can (If they fit) but its not recommended. Today you know where it is, next month,...............skirting is a bit loose, a few screws will solve that..........why is there no picture on the TV :unsure:

Run them under the floor, clip where you can.

Would a clip under the floor at either side of the room be ok about 3.5m apart?

@ProDave Love your Avatar, I have a similar photo of "Sluts Hole" and "Prats Bottom" both in Kent.

It is aerial, Ariel is washing powder among other things.
Coax cable has a minimum bending radius. If you fit it behind the skirting you will undoubtedly exceed this at the corners and get reception problems.

It is aerial, Ariel is washing powder among other things.
Coax cable has a minimum bending radius. If you fit it behind the skirting you will undoubtedly exceed this at the corners and get reception problems.
We can all be pedantic,
I think antenna is the word neither of you can spell. ;)

@DIY GUY , put it under the floor with a clip at each end,
Its not mains cable, and the worst than can happen is you lose the TV signal due to deterioration at some stage.
just be careful and use a proper sized round clip so as not to crush the co-ax ,

If you are worried about future problems and there won't be access when the floor is back, put a length of 25mm conduit with a long radius bend at each end and coming up through the floor to just above floor level at each end.

That will protect the cable, and worst case, you could fish new cables end to end should they get damaged or you need something different.

I needed to run some data cables from one side of my house to another (data cables same category as sky/ aerials) I fished 3 lengths of plastic conduit through the floor space, joining the ends as I went. Once finished, I just left it there and ran the cables through it. no clipping or faffing about under the floor and cables protected from damage and creepy crawlies too.

I needed to run some data cables from one side of my house to another (data cables same category as sky/ aerials) I fished 3 lengths of plastic conduit through the floor space, joining the ends as I went. Once finished, I just left it there and ran the cables through it. no clipping or faffing about under the floor and cables protected from damage and creepy crawlies too.
Managed to get my sky cable across the room through conduct. Would it be ok to run a cable from my lighting circuit from a separate piece of conduct from one end of room to the other, or am I safe to just lie it on floor of crawl space. Crawl space is dry and concrete base. 👍🏻

Managed to get my sky cable across the room through conduct. Would it be ok to run a cable from my lighting circuit from a separate piece of conduct from one end of room to the other, or am I safe to just lie it on floor of crawl space. Crawl space is dry and concrete base. 👍🏻
nothing wrong with running a lighting cable through a separate run of conduit or if you use crawl space put some clips in to keep it off the ground.

nothing wrong with running a lighting cable through a separate run of conduit or if you use crawl space put some clips in to keep it off the ground.
If I can’t manage conduct could I clip one side then pull other side only tight enough to lift it from ground then clip so it stays off ground? Cheers

If you can access both sides why not push a rigid plastic conduit through over the cable and clip that off the ground save putting tension on the cable?