Running lighting cable under floor boards

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIY GUY

Reaction score
Is it relatively safe to run twin & E cable from light circuit under the floor boards on bottom of dry crawl space. Cable clipped at both ends 5ft apart so around 4ft of cable lying on the floor? Don’t want to rip up full glued chipboard to clip cable the full length.

Would same apply to a cable from lighting circuit the same as it would a sky cable, clipping where possible with a chance of it being on the ground at parts?

Don't look like it to me
revjames said:
nothing wrong with running a lighting cable through a separate run of conduit or if you use crawl space put some clips in to keep it off the ground.

This is not an answer, but a response.
My immediate response to this is that there is no such thing a relatively safe. With mains voltage electrics it's either very safe or not safe at all.

Don't look like it to me

Sorry in this post I’m not asking about running cable through conduct. Do you have an answer to my reply to this question? I’m just looking for advice for piece of mind if I’m not using conduct is it safe for the middle section of cable to maybe be a little on the ground but with either end of cable clipped and pulled tight to possibly have it lifted from the ground.

This is not an answer, but a response.
My immediate response to this is that there is no such thing a relatively safe. With mains voltage electrics it's either very safe or not safe at all.
Would you say what I’m asking is safe or not safe then?

If you want to do it safe, do it properly.
Either you'll have to make some damage to your flooring to make it safe, or find another route.

Sorry in this post I’m not asking about running cable through conduct. Do you have an answer to my reply to this question? I’m just looking for advice for piece of mind if I’m not using conduct is it safe for the middle section of cable to maybe be a little on the ground but with either end of cable clipped and pulled tight to possibly have it lifted from the ground.
seems ok to me, unless you've a known rodent cable muncher that likes it down there...

If you could clip it all, then that's best, if you could conduit it then that's better but having it supported at both ends is ok IMHO. I've seen it many times, never seen a cable damaged from just resting.

It's more important to keep it away from the coax/data cables than whether the double insulated mains cable might be on a floor!

Latest posts