ruunning cables behind a shower (in boxing in)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tu1982

Reaction score
I presume its ok to run cables in boxing in within bathrooms. There is a clear route from the fuse board for one leg of the ring behind the sink area (and behind the back of the bath) and i was also thinking of using the stud bit behind the shower to run lighting cables into the loft. I presume these areas are classed as outside zones?

as long as you mean they are horizontal into the loft or floor then yes and as long as they are within the walls then all should be well, unless you put it surface in trunking but not near any water then i cant see a major problem

what about in the area (that should be floor boarded) behind the sink (boxed in) running horizontally to a bedroom on the otherside of the bathroom

will the new circuit be feed from an RCD ????????? and is the boxing in removeable ???

as long as you mean they are horizontal into the loft or floor then yes and as long as they are within the walls then all should be well, unless you put it surface in trunking but not near any water then i cant see a major problem
Only cables serving equipment within a bath/shower room are allowed within that room, Reg No -I-cant-be-bothered-to-look-it-up .

Thought it didnt matter as long as all cables running through bathroom were RCD protected?

Is that even if you run in boxing that has been screwed, if its not removable its not in a zone ???????????, if its being run in a safe zone would it still not be complient ??????.

NWDS

Back to the 16th , if I have this right, you could'nt run any circuits up through a bathroom to the loft, say, with or without an RCD . Don't ask me the Reg. No. Deke
im not saying i personally would run any cabling to the loft through the bathroom, just to cover my ar*e :eek:

What happens if its supplying the bathroom 1st from the board and then to the rest of the upstairs lighting circuit?

o sorry the OP states a ring. Does this still apply with lights then?

when i say running through the bathroom, its basically under the floor boards but the bit where the boxing in is behind the bath doesnt box in to the floor. It shouldnt be a big deal there are not any connections and people run t&e outside!! i just wondered the proper regs on it!

The running the cables into the loft is the main thing. obviously people would run shower cables behind the boxing in to the shower so why not add a lighting cable and a power supply to the roof in it aswell?

its all on an rcbo im going to do every circuit on one.

cheers for the advice

I'm pretty sure cables in the boxing are OK. I know that a cupboard is, so can't see the difference. AFAIK you could'nt run them flush up the wall ,tiled over, within the shower cubicle or anywhere else for that matter

Deke

I'm pretty sure cables in the boxing are OK. I know that a cupboard is, so can't see the difference. AFAIK you could'nt run them flush up the wall ,tiled over, within the shower cubicle or anywhere else for that matterDeke
I saw that done once a few years back, the guy fitting the shower cubicle unknowingly put a screw through a cable. Later on the home owner re-set the breaker and livened up the framework. Luckily no one was killed.

I presume its ok to run cables in boxing in within bathrooms. There is a clear route from the fuse board for one leg of the ring behind the sink area (and behind the back of the bath) and i was also thinking of using the stud bit behind the shower to run lighting cables into the loft. I presume these areas are classed as outside zones?
Yes but all wiring regs will comply I.E 17th . RCD will be required for additional protectiion on circuit .