Safe Isolation - Borrowed Neutral

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortcircuit

Reaction score
All hypothetical

Having isolated a circuit by locking off MCB, electrician is electrocuted by a borrowed neutral.

How many test for a "live" neutral?

I am cribbing off another forum.

Test dead OK, then the housholder switches on a circuit with the borrowed neutral.

Even when proved dead I avoid touching any exposed wires at all costs if possible! ;)

this is where i feel voltsticks come in quite handy, as well as an approved meter of course

Indeed Frosty Badger.

And Welcome to the Forum.

VOLTSTICKS.....VOLTSTICKS.....

BURN THEM ALL, they should be banned.

just like any tester, they will only ever show if a circuit is hot(ie live), never never never will they show a circuit is dead.!

voltstick- now that really is into the realms of DIY Bob.....

Thanks admin.

haha, i did say as well as a meter :p but do agree, they never prove a circuit is dead... my cutters do :D

I always check all conductors...

When working on downstairs or upstairs lighting circuits, I SWITCH BOTH OFF, just in case..

B)

as an electrician who has been around a little, i always give this advice to trainees etc

1 isolate circuit

2 check it for "dead"

3 if you dis a neutral "spark' it off something earthed

4 proceed with caution pretending everything is live, remember someone could switch something on:O

its not in the EWAR regs but is the only wayB)

I agree, isolate and test properly but I still have my voltstick handy for when someone else has isolated at distant end and I want a quick comfort check before I jump in.

Regards, John.

And last but not least, the finger test after all other methods of isolation/checking have been implemented..

:eek:

yep, good old finger test, always tells the truth.

and BTW, I would never be without my 'phase tester', (neon screwdriver)

i know i know. but in all honestly, how many of you have had a belt off one.?

personally its IMHO the fastest easiest way of checking for a broken neutral.

went to a job yesterday where a 'spark' had spent 3 hours looking for a fault, 5mins and i proved to him it was a broken neutral, and even had the light fitting pinpointed, and all with a 99p neon screwdriver.!!!

Latest posts