Same old question........Becoming an Electrican.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

low-def

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first real post and im probably asking the same question thats been asked many times before....but ill ask it anyway ; -) (apologies)

Im 33, have a young family and have been working in an office environment for the last 5-7 years and i think its time for a change in career.

Im interseted in electrics and have been for several years, just doing bits and pieces around the house mainly.

My question is (help please), what is the easiest way for me to start learning and getting trained. Due to having a family i can't go on a full time course.

I've seen a few sites that offer introductory training in c&g 2382 at home via disc - is this a good place to start?

Or should i skip that and try and get on a part-time evening class at a nearby college?

many thanks in advance for any replies.

As above too. Just stick with it and you'll enjoy it especially when you start passing your exams.

Hi, As everyone else has said the Part time Evening College course is the best bet.

I did the 2330 level 2 and have just finished the level 3.

It has taken 3 years and a lot of headaches due to me being crap at maths but i'm glad I did it!!!

The hardest thing of all is starting, And then not knowing anyone in your class and worrying about not knowing answers to difficult questions.

It is a bit like going back to school and having to pay for the privelidge but it can be lots of fun too!!!!

Good luck!!!!

cheers for the replies guys. So the 2330 is the best place to start then by the looks of it. just need to find somewhere that offers a part time course now.

2330 continues but is only funded for 16-19 year olds, anybody over 19 will have to pay full cost. The 2357 is replacing the 2330 tech. certificates and 2356 NVQ, candidates will need to provide site-based evidence of work carried out so must be employed or "have access to the workplace"(so work experience may surfice).

My local college has advised me to start on the C&G 2303 Technical Certificate Level 1 - Electrical Competence course, which lasts for 1 year.

If this is the case, what course would i do after this one?

2330 continues but is only funded for 16-19 year olds, anybody over 19 will have to pay full cost. The 2357 is replacing the 2330 tech. certificates and 2356 NVQ, candidates will need to provide site-based evidence of work carried out so must be employed or "have access to the workplace"(so work experience may surfice).
Is right unfortunately.

Some colleges will still offer the 2330 as a commercial course, completely unfunded, so you will have to fork out the full cost - which could be anywhere between just under a grand to well over 2K.

The other alternative is the 2357, which as Brian says you need to have 'significant access to work' - in other words you need to be able to show evidence of having worked with numerous types of wiring system and support systems - in other words you need domestic, commercial and industrial experience. However, many colleges still won't have got their heads around or even know how to run this course as yet, and it is going to throw up some serious concerns as there are ten mandatory wiring systems you need to be able to evidence, one of which is fibre-optics.

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't heard of many common-or-garden sparks doing fibre-optics, and likewise I haven't heard of many firms doing fibre-optics that get involved in house-bashing, commercial, industrial, SWA, MIMS and all that malarkey. So realistically when the poor sod who is responsible for signing people up for NVQs has to sit in front of the management and declare whether or not the candidate will be able to meet the requirements, they've got 2 options:

1. Say no, and tell them that nobody can sign up for the 2357.

2. Lie, and hope to god Summit Skills pull their head out of you know where and get real.

So really - your best bet is to try and find somewhere that will still run the 2330 and make you pay for it. The difficulty you will have in getting onto the 2357, and the likelihood that you will be an unwitting guinea pig as the college tries to figure out what the hell is going on if you do manage to get onto it, basically mean that you're unlikely to get a great service if you do sign up.

Bite the bullet, pay the cash and go for the 2330, even if it means travelling further afield