Sauna help please !!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_ddll

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’ve just built a free standing sauna and I have a couple of questions and 1 is a real head scratcher.

the manufacturer states that the heater shouldn’t be protected by an RCD, not comfortable with this but it has been tripping… this lead to my next question 

it’s build with timber studs and celotex. Since I’ve fitted the heater I now have 130v on all external metal work, screws, hinges etc. I can’t get my head around why…. When I do a ZS test it says error 5 which is too much noise ?

please help 🤯

You have a bad connection to earth, possibly crossed cables. 
I would recheck all connections that you have made for correct terminal termination, both tightness and location identity. 

Hi mate, would that would put voltage on the external screws ? 

thanks for your reply ?

The sauna is plugged in through a commando plug 

Yeah… I can’t see what would do that. The heater is sat on screws that go into the celotex. The celotex has been taped up so it’s all connected.

thanks 👍🏻

I will check the connections though !!

I’ve disconnected the heater and managed to get to some celotex… touch it and there is volts there, not loads but you can feel it 😠 

hi everyone,

so I’ve managed to get somewhere but don’t funny understand.

so the way it’s wired is, I have a commando plug and socket which is wired with a Rotary isolator. From the secondary side of the isolator it goes to the heater and also to a fused spur, which then supplies the light.

I’ve disconnected the heater and when the heater and lighting cables are both connected to the secondary side of the isolator.. my volt stick lights up at every bit of metal on the external. Remove the lighting feed, it stops. This made me this I’ve damaged the lighting cable. But if I connect the lighting cable and remove the heater feed, it also stops.

so it only happens if both feeds are connected to the isolator. I’ve also got the spur off so the light is isolated.

thanks again

tom

hi everyone,

so I’ve managed to get somewhere but don’t funny understand.

Possibly because your testing methods sound a bit dubious..

I would suggest back-peddle a bit and do some comprehensive dead-testing first..

then come back and tell us what your dead test results are?

:coffee

As above you need to verify your dead tests prior to applying the supply. How and where are you measuring these voltages.

I assume this is a DIY.   The combination of electricity, the damp conditions of a sauna, and the vulnerable situation of the user make this far too risky for inadequate design and testing, or for a guess and hope approach.

Get a professional on the task.