screws for patress boxes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Reaction score
which do you guys use that dont distort the box

round head self tappers ?????

seem to be expensive as are all round heads

suggestions ???/

I don't understand. All patresses have countersunk holes or slots.
I assumed Theory was talking about when fixing a plastic patress on a brick wall, you may level & mark where your holes goto be drilled..

but when you actually drill the brick sometimes hole can move a bit out of line..

so when putting in your counter sunk screws it pulls the box out of line.

But if you got round head... or some cup washers.. you can grip the box level without the counter sunk bit twisting things off level.?

:)

Thats one place where I use them anyway?

I don't understand. All patresses have countersunk holes or slots.
I AGREE, CANT SEE A PROBLEM, DRILL YOUR HOLES CORRECTLY AND C SUNK SCREWS ARE NOT A PROBLEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AGREE, CANT SEE A PROBLEM, DRILL YOUR HOLES CORRECTLY AND C SUNK SCREWS ARE NOT A PROBLEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
they are for me,,,,hands like shovels

brick walls is where i have an issue when they are uneven

which do you guys use that dont distort the boxround head self tappers ?????

seem to be expensive as are all round heads

suggestions ???/
Patress boxes I,ve used would not distort but snap as they are solid and not flexible.

Patress boxes I,ve used would not distort but snap as they are solid and not flexible.
As the septic one says, placcy patresses aren't the best thing to be fixing to bare brickwork. They dont respond well to being flexed when pulled back to an uneven surface by screws, washers notwithstanding. Unless you can land them on a whole brick and it's smooth and not one of those 'riven' finished types. Always used metalclad on brick or something made from ABS which has a degree of 'give' in it. Does it have to be plastic?

As the septic one says, placcy patresses aren't the best thing to be fixing to bare brickwork. They dont respond well to being flexed when pulled back to an uneven surface by screws, washers notwithstanding. Unless you can land them on a whole brick and it's smooth and not one of those 'riven' finished types. Always used metalclad on brick or something made from ABS which has a degree of 'give' in it. Does it have to be plastic?
IMHO whether it be plastic / metal / ABS or whatever.. the enclosure should not distort anyway....

or it will end up non square so the face plate will not sit flush?

I had assumed Theory was talking about when putting a plastic box onto a plastered wall, when you cant see where the bricks are...

and even with good drilling, sometimes when you drill the hole, it is smack in line with the edge of the brick & mortar,

So the drill can just drift a couple of mm up/down/left or right! and because of the moulded countersunk recess of the patress, when you tighten the screw up it can rotate the whole box around off square.

With a round head screw which is narrower diameter than the patress hole, you can tighten the box without it twisting. :D

Countersunk screws with cup-washers can achieve the same thing! :) ;)

that was my understanding... maybe wrong? dunno? :| :(

they are for me,,,,hands like shovelsbrick walls is where i have an issue when they are uneven
I'm going on this post. I have on occasion resorted to lightly dressing the brick back with a sharp floorboard chisel where it's been necessary to take off chunks of mortar or the odd bit of inclusion that sticks out from the face of the brick. If I hit crap mortar lines and suchlike under plaster I swich to one of the diagonals, not unheard of to put 3 fixings in either if that's what it takes.

I'm going on this post. I have on occasion resorted to lightly dressing the brick back with a sharp floorboard chisel where it's been necessary to take off chunks of mortar or the odd bit of inclusion that sticks out from the face of the brick. If I hit crap mortar lines and suchlike under plaster I swich to one of the diagonals, not unheard of to put 3 fixings in either if that's what it takes.
aye! Could well be! :D

we'll have to wait till Theory posts back one??? ?:|

But he's a day shift sort of guy... not normally up after 11:00pm!! :(

watch this space.... as they say! :) :DGuiness Drink

IMHO whether it be plastic / metal / ABS or whatever.. the enclosure should not distort anyway.... or it will end up non square so the face plate will not sit flush?

I had assumed Theory was talking about when putting a plastic box onto a plastered wall, when you cant see where the bricks are...

and even with good drilling, sometimes when you drill the hole, it is smack in line with the edge of the brick & mortar,

So the drill can just drift a couple of mm up/down/left or right! and because of the moulded countersunk recess of the patress, when you tighten the screw up it can rotate the whole box around off square.

With a round head screw which is narrower diameter than the patress hole, you can tighten the box without it twisting. :D

Countersunk screws with cup-washers can achieve the same thing! :) ;)

that was my understanding... maybe wrong? dunno? :| :(
Its the unseen bricks behind plaster that does for me

i even start with 3mm drill and work upto 5.5mm still have problems

i have got some of those cups you suggested and will give them a go today on a little job i have

Cheers for the posts