Security Light PIR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache

Cow Fiddler ™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 150W security light mounted on my workshop with a PIR. It has worked fine for a year and now once the PIR is activated at dusk it doesn't go off until dawn. I have it turned off at the isolation switch.

Are PIR's mendable? Can I just change the PIR or should I just replace the whole unit. A new unit is less than a tenner?

:^O

I have a 150W security light mounted on my workshop with a PIR. It has worked fine for a year and now once the PIR is activated at dusk it doesn't go off until dawn. I have it turned off at the isolation switch.Are PIR's mendable? Can I just change the PIR or should I just replace the whole unit. A new unit is less than a tenner?

:^O
Buy a new unit. As much as I hate it we are in a throw away culture. You have to ask yourself is it worth more to buy a new

Try turning switch off for 20seconds then back on because moct modern pir lights can be set to manual mode which overides the pir and keeps the light on. Manual mode is usually done by switching the switch on & off quickly.

Try turning switch off for 20seconds then back on because moct modern pir lights can be set to manual mode which overides the pir and keeps the light on. Manual mode is usually done by switching the switch on & off quickly.
Interesting, I shall try that. Thanks :)

Replaced my security light this afternoon. Rated IP44 but the PIR was full of water! No wonder the thing didn't work.

A quick question about pir's. If you connect 2 together in series will one affect the switching of the other or should they both work fine???

A quick question about pir's. If you connect 2 together in series will one affect the switching of the other or should they both work fine???
why in series? they would both have to be activated to operate.

do you mean in parallell so if either is activated the light(or whatever) will come on.

Yeah I suppose I do sorry. I just meant if you run your supply to one light and then to the other(light and pir in one unit so to speak)

Yeah I suppose I do sorry. I just meant if you run your supply to one light and then to the other(light and pir in one unit so to speak)
just use a 3core,(assuming both lights have PIR) , perm live, sw live and neutral.

works fine.