Separate Electric Meter for Annex?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patmckenna

Reaction score
Hi Folks - Newbie first post. Non-electrician seeking advice on how to proceed - no intention of attempting a diy job on the following:

My daughter lives in a coach house in my back garden. At the moment, her electricity is supplied through the meter in my house. We want to separate her electricity supply from mine by introducing a meter for her but based at my house (preferably on the outside wall adjacent to the internal location of my own meter).  Cadent are about to supply a gas pipe to fit central heating to her home which presently has a wood burner only. This involves them running a pipeline from the gas mains down to her property. I’m trying to avoid having to run new armoured cabling to the coach house - hence the question: Can I place her electricity meter adjacent to mine at my own property? Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance. Pat

For her own completely separate supply the DNO will have to provide a new feed which will be a minimum of about £1000  It will need it's own MPAN number which means it will need it's own address.  What does planning say about this annex? does it prohibit it becoming a separate dwelling?

If she just wants to "pay her way" then any electrician can fit a private meter for the annex, at either end, and you just bill her for the units she uses at the same pence per unit that you pay.

Thanks for swift replies guys. ProDave: the Coach House has been recognised as a dwelling in its own right - with separate Council Tax etc. We have just received the MPRN for the gas meter which will be located at the Coach House (Cadent presently about to supply the gas piping from the mains supply bypassing my property.) My daughter has received a government grant for the installation of the gas supply and gas central heating.

I appreciate the ability to put a private electric meter at either end but I’m trying to ensure her complete independence - I’m an old codger with one foot in the grave and I want her to have no obligation to share bills with new occupiers of the main house in years to come…

Pat

expect to pay a fair amount for that then. as for same trench, not likely - most utilities will want separation between services

if the supply into the house is aedequate then its possible to fit another meter there but highly unlikely, most DNO / suppliers dont like doing it that way any more, too many issues with shared supplied

The routing of the new cable will be entirely up to the DNO so get them to give you a quote and see what they offer in terms of price and how to route the cable, but it will be a new cable into the coach house so any existing cable from your house to the coach house will become redundant.

no restrictions on where the meter goes, can be either end of the cable to the annex or even in the middle if you wanted
Thanks Andy - I assume you mean the positioning of a meter on a new cable running from the mains to the coach house? In my innocence, I was hoping to be able to ‘divert’ the power supply to the annex located on my own meter and attach it to a new electric meter taking independent readings for the coach house - with separate billing from my supplier (or a supplier of my daughter’s own choice in the future). 

Thanks for your patience and interest. I’m already on a steep learning curve. Pat

expect to pay a fair amount for that then. as for same trench, not likely - most utilities will want separation between services

if the supply into the house is aedequate then its possible to fit another meter there but highly unlikely, most DNO / suppliers dont like doing it that way any more, too many issues with shared supplied
Thanks Andy - Cadent say they will be using a ‘mole’ technique rather than a trench so there will be no question of sharing the trench!

The Coach House had its own approved electric certification when we converted the property a few years back BUT I’m inclined to agree that a completely independent supply from the mains is the way to go. I’ll save up first then contact my DNO!

Thanks again.

Pat

Thanks Andy - Cadent say they will be using a ‘mole’ technique rather than a trench so there will be no question of sharing the trench!

might be worth asking the contractors doing the moling if they could run a second hole for the electric - don't ask the boss, ask the guys doing the job as these will almost certainy be sub-contractors, a bit of bonus money for them. 

The routing of the new cable will be entirely up to the DNO so get them to give you a quote and see what they offer in terms of price and how to route the cable, but it will be a new cable into the coach house so any existing cable from your house to the coach house will become redundant.
Thanks ProDave - both you and Andy have been very helpful and have clarified how to proceed from here. Thanks again. Pat

might be worth asking the contractors doing the moling if they could run a second hole for the electric - don't ask the boss, ask the guys doing the job as these will almost certainy be sub-contractors, a bit of bonus money for them. 
Thanks Binky. This had crossed my mind… In that situation, I supply the armoured cabling and they run it through? What spec of cabling for a one bedroom, lounge, kitchen (presently all electric), utility room and shower room? It will have gas central heating in the next month or so… I’d automatically go for the next grade up to be sure…

I bet this is where us newbies/amateurs really begin to get on your nerves - asking too much, too soon. Apologies and thanks!

Pat

Thanks Binky. This had crossed my mind… In that situation, I supply the armoured cabling and they run it through? What spec of cabling for a one bedroom, lounge, kitchen (presently all electric), utility room and shower room? It will have gas central heating in the next month or so… I’d automatically go for the next grade up to be sure…

I bet this is where us newbies/amateurs really begin to get on your nerves - asking too much, too soon. Apologies and thanks!

Pat
No, the DNO will supply the cable which will probably be concentric.

If preparing for them, the best you can do is install a BLACK *  cable duct 50mm or larger with a draw cord for them to pull their cable through.

* Check with your DNO some require red ducting

No, the DNO will supply the cable which will probably be concentric.

If preparing for them, the best you can do is install a BLACK *  cable duct 50mm or larger with a draw cord for them to pull their cable through.

* Check with your DNO some require red ducting
Many thanks guys! Pat

Latest posts