Series or Parallel, that is my question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94JDH

Reaction score
I would always use both MPPT trackers, assuming you have 2.
Hi,

sorry to barge in on this thread, just wondering why its best to use both?
My installer is running 9 east panels to one inverter & 9 west panels to the other inverter (two flat roof areas - one with 12 panels/one with 6).
I was told the reason being splitting 9 (5 & 4 effectively) one of the strings would be too near the lowest input voltage of the MPPT and would be best running through one port?
Any thoughts, if you don't mind?

Hi-jacking posts causes confusion, I have given yours its own shiny new thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

sorry to barge in on this thread, just wondering why its best to use both?
My installer is running 9 east panels to one inverter & 9 west panels to the other inverter (two flat roof areas - one with 12 panels/one with 6).
I was told the reason being splitting 9 (5 & 4 effectively) one of the strings would be too near the lowest input voltage of the MPPT and would be best running through one port?
Any thoughts, if you don't mind?
less imbalances between the panels - the panels are usual power matched before being sent out to be nigh on indentical in performance, but you do still get small differences and so a single string works at the level of the worst panel. More importantly you may have a very large bird poo, leaves or other dirt on one panel that then affects the entire set of panels. If you have 2 strings and issues like that only affects half the array, it also reduces how much energy is being forced through the bypass diodes of the affected panel - the weak point of the panels, so I prefer to minimise this where possible.

less imbalances between the panels - the panels are usual power matched before being sent out to be nigh on indentical in performance, but you do still get small differences and so a single string works at the level of the worst panel. More importantly you may have a very large bird poo, leaves or other dirt on one panel that then affects the entire set of panels. If you have 2 strings and issues like that only affects half the array, it also reduces how much energy is being forced through the bypass diodes of the affected panel - the weak point of the panels, so I prefer to minimise this where possible.
Thanks for your reply, so the Tigo Optimisers on each panel should help eliminate some of the potential problems?

Latest posts