SES v E14

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99koko

Reaction score
Hope someone can help me.

I have 7 lights in my living room.

I think they are have Small Edison Screw sockets.

Currently they have a mix of bulbs and some are a bit dull. So decided to replace them all with LED type bulbs.

I ordered some, via Amason, and they arrived to-day. They were marked E14. Accoding to Wikipedia SES = E14?

When I replaced the old bulbs with the new, only one worked. When I swopped the new bulbs out and put in the old ones, and they all worked. So nothinbg wrong with the light fixtures.

I then tried all teh new bulbs on the light fixture that worked, and they were all OK.

So I am in a bit of a quandry as to what is wrong.

Can any one help?

This is so so common

its because the LEDs have a slightly different profile which prevents the contacts on the bulb reaching the contacts in the light fitting.

try a different make from a local supplier , who will allow you to easily return them

The contacts in the bottom of the lamp holders are often made with a bit of springy metal.

If they are that type they become squashed over time and then don't quite contact a new lamp. It is then possible to prise the contact up again, very carefully, just a millimetre or so, using a small screwdriver. 

I'm a bit reluctant to suggest this as I'll be pounced on for encouraging you to poke around in a lampholder, so I will emphasise, if you are going to do it 

SWITCH THE SUPPLY OFF AT THE CONSUMER UNIT, - NOT JUST THE WALL SWITCH     first

Geoff1946 and Murdoch.

Many thanks for your suggestions. I will follow them up.

The contacts in the bottom of the lamp holders are often made with a bit of springy metal.

If they are that type they become squashed over time and then don't quite contact a new lamp. It is then possible to prise the contact up again, very carefully, just a millimetre or so, using a small screwdriver. 

I'm a bit reluctant to suggest this as I'll be pounced on for encouraging you to poke around in a lampholder, so I will emphasise, if you are going to do it 

SWITCH THE SUPPLY OFF AT THE CONSUMER UNIT, - NOT JUST THE WALL SWITCH     first
have done this many times - without going bang  :lol: