She Wants..........

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"She" has seen this and wants "something just like that" when I eventually do the downstairs bathroom. The fact that currently there's no ceiling or ceiling joists and that the concrete floor has to be dug up means it's likely a fair way off:

alcove_zps0fb732df.jpg

So, as per my concept sketch below a long alcove level with the bath surround and of course downlights. SOLID, non cavity walls which were originally external walls. I was thinking I could bring galv conduit down in chases (from trannie(s) in the loft above) behind the tiles with a bend to a 1-way box at each downlight. 

bath-1_zps086db152.jpg

Is this the "normal" way to go about it? Even if using galv then long term I'm thinking rust as an issue.

Of course to form the alcoves I have to hack into the walls and fit/cast lintels which will be the biggest b@lls ache! Half thinking to batten the wall out with some 2"x2"

Any tips appreciated!

P.S. Forgot to add that the cylindrical things on the alcove are "bottles" of girly bubble bath in her "vision". I can see a bottle of red and a waterproof TV on the wall!  :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
 1. Downlight would need to be ELV. With transformer in an accessible place .

2. Need to form a cavity over the recess to accomodate the downlight .

3. Galvo conduit !!!! Why ?   Just wire it in twin cable from transformer. 

Or wiring on other side of wall ............if its not next door. !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why bother with conduit? but if corrosion is an issue, use PVC conduit.

The alcove will be in a section of wall that's part of a boxed in section, so presumably timber frame and plasterboard (don't forget to use the green waterproof type)

Nice sketch :D what did you use?

Im' always looking to do a bit of galv but in this instance would probably use some pvc or jus chase in some t&e in oval :)

If your tiling it you could always use marine ply :)
Full version AutoCAD 2010 with whatever rendering took my fancy at the time for the drawing. The "other" walls, ceiling and joists etc are ll there but switched off. Pretty much only TWO things you need to remember when making the "jump" to 3D..........if you want to draw say an RSJ then draw the outline as a Polyline i.e. one entity. Then use the EXTRUDE command. That, is pretty much the key to drawing 3D in AutoCAD.

Not thinking am I? Paranoid about her and drilling holes to mount dolphins/sea horses or other such tat. 

Canoeboy said:
Im disappointed that its not Draftsight OnOff  :innocent
I've had a crack at some pseudo 3D using Draftsight but it's a bit long winded to do so! Had to go back to my draughting days with construction lines and "rubbing" them out and drawing lines at 30deg all over the place. For quick 2D stuff then Draftsight is great. I find even the "Classic" mode in the modern AutoCAD not as simple as I'd like. Even AutoCAD LT 2013 (which is 2D) is over a grand vs Draftsight that's FREE!

I was going to export the AutoCAD drawing to Inventor to add some movement so I could simulate her slamming the door on me after a row!

Canoeboy said:
For 3D my mate (mechanical designer) swears by SolidWorks, he even did his house extension with it and when planning asked for drawings he sent them a solid works readable realtime 3d file - they didnt know what to do :slap
Had a lad at college going back a few years did something similar. Older, retired guy named John and he was mustard at all things CAD. Quite why he was there I never figured. His house "drawing" was presented as a video that started off IN SPACE. View of the Earth which then zoomed down to his building plot. Green field and then the trench gets dug, footings poured etc, DPC then UNROLLS! Walls up, roof and so on. When finished the "camera" the effs off back into space. WAY beyond my capabilities! 

I would  make the front opening smaller than the box and hide a LED gel strip behind it. No IP problems, no big hole for lights and  you could fit a colour changing strip to suit different moods. Remote control so easy to use by the bath, except when you drop it in

I would  make the front opening smaller than the box and hide a LED gel strip behind it. No IP problems, no big hole for lights and  you could fit a colour changing strip to suit different moods. Remote control so easy to use by the bath, except when you drop it in
I like that idea. Of course it's not ME that needs convincing. Any particular make you'd recommend?

Canoeboy said:
Dont use any form of wood for building stuff in a bathroom (In my Opinion), use Wedi Board

http://www.wedi.co.uk/building-materials/boards/buildingboards-interior.php

All wood will if getting wet/damp enough over time from stuff that looks impervious on the surface will eventually blow and expand - unlike wedi board

Been there and not good for the stress levels.....
Just checked out the site and video. Looks good.......expensive?

I was thinking something like this   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-5M-300-LED-3528-RGB-SMD-Strip-Light-12V-Remote-Controller-Adapter-/300840948337?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Night_Lights_Fairy_Lights&hash=item460b849271    Not used this one personally. A sponser LEDHUT does some in 2.5m lengths

Full version AutoCAD 2010 with whatever rendering took my fancy at the time for the drawing. The "other" walls, ceiling and joists etc are ll there but switched off. Pretty much only TWO things you need to remember when making the "jump" to 3D..........if you want to draw say an RSJ then draw the outline as a Polyline i.e. one entity. Then use the EXTRUDE command. That, is pretty much the key to drawing 3D in AutoCAD.

Autocad  was my brothers programing when they were Alias research. He still works for Autodesk today.

I was thinking something like this   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-5M-300-LED-3528-RGB-SMD-Strip-Light-12V-Remote-Controller-Adapter-/300840948337?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Night_Lights_Fairy_Lights&hash=item460b849271    Not used this one personally. A sponser LEDHUT does some in 2.5m lengths

Ed a similar colour changing s

Autocad  was my brothers programing when they were Alias research. He still works for Autodesk today.
I have just used same ones around the top of my cupboards. Son in law has fitted them above kitchen kick plinth. I have fitted a 10 m one around a recessed feature pelmet and island unit in a F expensive kitchen. They look the " dogs back wheels"

Just make sure you bin the plug top and connecting lead.......carp

Regarding bath feature.....did same on the above kitchen job. Two niches with colour changing lamp in each via remote control. LVT Fitted behind access panel in adjoining bedroom wall. Looks really good. I would post a vid but don't know how to

Try google sketchup for a free 3d cad program.

Personally I could never get on with the autocad user interface, but that's just me, I prefer to avoid it.

Draftsight is from the same stable as Solidworks...............Dassault Systemes of France. Its like Draftsight is the "taster" to go on and get Solidworks.

solidworks is brill, autocad better for architects, both bleeding expensive, even autocad lite is riduclous price these days.

My brother had just qualified as an architect ( all in CAD) when he was headhunted by alias & moved to Canada. They soon put the architecture to the back burner and concentrated on the film industry as it was far more lucrative. 23 years on hes just started on a overhaul of the architects & design packages.