Shed/Out house supply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad170593

Reaction score
Hi all.

New to this page so forgive me if I’m not using it correctly.

Also rather new to the industry. Second year apprentice getting to grips with things, so again, please forgive me if I’m not on the right track.

I have been asked to carry out some work for a neighbour who wants a lighting and socket circuit installed in the shed/out house.

The house is relatively small and only has 1 ring main throughout.

The shed has previously had a supply, but was stripped out a few years back and there is currently only a 2.5 T&E feed the shed which has been spurred off the ring.

I am hesitant as he is wanting to put his tumble, washing machine and freezer in the shed, aswell as sockets for bench tools etc.

The mains board is at the opposite end of the property and he is unwilling to install a new supply as he has recently decorated.

He is also adamant that he wants the circuits in the shed to run from a ‘garage board’ he picked up off Facebook.

Does anyone have any suggestions or methods on how I could SAFELY install a 2 way board with just a 2.5 supply?

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Feed the board from a 16A mcb.

And tell them they can only use the WM OR the TD and not both together.

But personally if he's trying to design it, I would be more inclined to say no and walk away.

sounds like the sort that will be looking over your shoulder all the time. As Dave says, tell him how its going to happen (and how much its going to cost) and be prepared to say no. Also make sure its fed from an RCD protected board or RCBO.

Ask yourself this, do you want the pressure at this stage in your learning? Do you feel confident in your own abilities/skills to do this? Are you strong enough within yourself to say no when he insists his design upon you? 

then decide if you want to do it. 
if you have the slightest doubt then walk away. 

Hi all.

New to this page so forgive me if I’m not using it correctly.

Also rather new to the industry. Second year apprentice getting to grips with things, so again, please forgive me if I’m not on the right track.

I have been asked to carry out some work for a neighbour who wants a lighting and socket circuit installed in the shed/out house.

The house is relatively small and only has 1 ring main throughout.

The shed has previously had a supply, but was stripped out a few years back and there is currently only a 2.5 T&E feed the shed which has been spurred off the ring.

I am hesitant as he is wanting to put his tumble, washing machine and freezer in the shed, aswell as sockets for bench tools etc.

The mains board is at the opposite end of the property and he is unwilling to install a new supply as he has recently decorated.

He is also adamant that he wants the circuits in the shed to run from a ‘garage board’ he picked up off Facebook.

Does anyone have any suggestions or methods on how I could SAFELY install a 2 way board with just a 2.5 supply?

TIA

Adding new circuits will require Part-P compliance notification, plus someone signing declarations on the electrical certificate to confirm it complies with current wiring regulations. Bottom is that an understanding of what the customer would like, should be taken into consideration, But its the person signing the certificate and putting their name on the Part-P notification will be the one carrying the liability if anyone is injured due to incorrect design. If you are unhappy/unable to sign the paperwork then walk away. If you are not doing any paperwork, just do what you want, take the risks, and hope for the best that it doesn't come back and bite you at a later date. 

Doc H.       

In his  trade ( some people call,it a "game'...no idea why as people can die if you get  it wrong ) you have to have many skills a lot better f which are n-taught. One of the greatest of these is knowing when to say NO and walk away

Top bit of advice

If you are determined to do this work just make 100% sure that you state on your quote that the maximum design load for the spur will be 13A .....................and that this is on your invoice and certificate too.

Customers can have selective memories in my experience and a few words written down can CYA big time

How long is the run?? Work out volt drop and EFLI...

To be honest, i would just walk..

Bloke next door to me wants a supply to his new shed and a hot tub. Difference is, his attitude is just "tell me what i need" and it costs what it costs

That is what decent folk are like..

Honestly, i would do some cable calcs and i think you might find that it will nto be feasable anyway..

john..