Shed supply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil1990

Reaction score
Looking to get power to my shed,  I have installed a duct to it already , it’s 45m away from property, my plan was to run Said length of cable from house which will have a normal plug on it, plugged into a rcd plug then plugged into a socket in the house, the other end wired into a small consumer unit to run a tube light and a couple of double sockets. I was thinking of using 6mm or 10mm would this be ok?  is there any possibility over overheating etc. Looking to use just a kettle , power tools maybe lawn mower. thanks 

If you manage the feat of connecting the large cable to a 13A plug, why have a CU in the shed?  It will all be fused at 13A and rcd protected.

Tbh not 100% sure what to do just looking for abit of advice really, want to make sure it’s safe . 

Thought of adding CU just for added security of blowing house 

But there wouldn’t be a worry of this overheating if I were to leave it on 24/7? That’s another worry, would have a couple of little cctv cameras running

Tbh not 100% sure what to do just looking for abit of advice really, want to make sure it’s safe . 

Thought of adding CU just for added security of blowing house 

If you want to make sure something is safe, you will need it to be designed, installed & tested in accordance with the current edition of BS7671 wiring regulations. And all new circuits or installation of consumer units in England come within the scope of Building regulations Part-P, so will require a building regulations compliance certificate in addition to the standard Electrical installation certificate. Without these documents recording the relevant test readings from your new circuit(s) I cannot see how you can verify your proposed alterations are safe.

Design and installation of any electrical alteration is not about getting it to work, it is about ensure the correct protective devices are installed to disconnect the power fast enough in the event of a fault. As if you get it wrong, electricity can kill a healthy adult in less than half a second. Your suggestions imply you have absolutely no understanding about how electricity flows through a circuit, and/or how the various protective devices should be included to provide discrimination through the installation.

For temporary supplies a 13A plug & extension lead, will be adequate and safe. But for permanent supplies a fixed hard-wired solution is what you need. Doing a bit of DIY swapping a light fitting, switch or socket is reasonably safe and straight forward, But any instance where you are adding extra wiring and load to an installation needs to be treated with care, and the old phrase, 'If in any doubt then don't', is still very true, better to seek professional assistance.

Doc H.