Shed wiring and certification

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr maint

Reaction score
Hi I’m new to the forum , maintenance engineer of 12 years
I have my level 3 2330 & 2391
17th edition
No part P hence my question

I’m planning to wire my shed up , 13a fused spur of the ring in the kitchen.
2.5mm SWA buried 1ft deep along the garden (10 metres)
Ideally going to put a consumer unit in the shed and run 2 sockets and 3 fluorescent lights off it

Is this classed as diy or does it need to be signed off?
If so is that cause of the use of the consumer unit? If That’s the case could I run a 13a fuse spur from the ring to the sockets , then spur off the shed sockets with a 3a fused spur for the lights to get round it?
Cheers

I’m planning to wire my shed up , 13a fused spur of the ring in the kitchen.
Ideally going to put a consumer unit in the shed and run 2 sockets and 3 fluorescent lights off it

I cannot see any point in a CU in the shed if it is being supplied from a 13A spur..??

Other than for decorative purposes if you think it will look nice in the shed..
What practical function do you think a shed CU could provide that cannot be achieved with a 3a spur for the lights?

I would only put a shed CU if its being fed from a SWA direct from some henley's splitting the supply tails.

This is one of those scenarios where our late esteemed colleague, Deke, would say..
just do it.. as the electric police will be too short staffed to come round and check up on you!!!
:)

I cannot see any point in a CU in the shed if it is being supplied from a 13A spur..??

Other than for decorative purposes if you think it will look nice in the shed..
What practical function do you think a shed CU could provide that cannot be achieved with a 3a spur for the lights?

I would only put a shed CU if its being fed from a SWA direct from some henley's splitting the supply tails.

This is one of those scenarios where our late esteemed colleague, Deke, would say..
just do it.. as the electric police will be too short staffed to come round and check up on you!!!
:)
I guess I’m a logical sense it makes no difference being CU or 2 spurs doing the same job , I was unsure if spurring of a spur’s circuit would be against the regs

Could there be an impact when it comes to selling the property? I know I could disconnect it but feel it would be a good addition to the house having a powered shed

really?

Have you look at your BBB?
Yeah the lights will still have protection at 3A , only difference is this will then run through the spur’d RCD sockets instead of being separate to those. So yeah in a logical sense without getting down to the nitty gritty the shed lights/socket will safely be protected

No as stated I’m a maintenance engineer looking to get advice from domestic sparks