Shock Horror!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antraeus

Reaction score
Hi. I've been renting a 2-bed house since 2011 and a new company of local electricians is demanding that I remove almost everything from the house so they can replace the mains with a digital consumer unit and carry out 'some' rewiring. They only performed brief EICR tests and did not prepare an actual report, arguing that I'm in danger of being electrocuted because the house has the original wiring. Even though there's never been a single problem in all the time I have lived here. And they said they were unable to switch the electricity off completely because the board has rusted into the wall. Well, it hasn't. And I believe they're telling fibs!

It's going to cost £2,000 to place my belongings into storage - for 2 days! Which amounts to extortion. They don't care because the contract is worth too much to them. I believe they are exploiting the new legislation and the tenant is the only thing standing in their way. They told me that the tenants usually just comply. Yeah right, only if they're young and don't have much stuff to move. Most landlords probably tell them to get lost before it comes to that! But mine wants me out, unfortunately, and needs a decent excuse, such as noncooperation! They're all capitalising on the situation.

If anyone's got time to read my account of the situation (attached) and look the photos over it would be appreciated. This has been going on for 8 months and is now coming to a head. So I'm desperate for any help and advice I can get at the moment.

Board 1.JPG

Fuse Box 2.JPG

Meter Plus Sticker 2009.JPG

Electrical Persecution.docx

Attachments

• Electrical Persecution.docx
    22.2 KB · Views: 15
At the very least it NEEDS a new consumer unit, and I am suspicions of that 2 core cable exiting the supply head from the left hand fuse.

IF they did a proper EICR they could determine the state of the existing wiring.  It could then be anything from just a consumer unit swap to a full rewire, but nobody knows without that proper test and inspection.  The reality is likely to be somewhere in between with earth bonding needing to be updating and some if the wiring okay and some needing repairs.

In any event if they are going to do a full rewire (the issue of whether that is really needed is a discussion for the landlord to have, not you) the landlord should pay for removals and storage of your items and provide temporary alternative accommodation.  The cost of doing that should focus his mind to check a full rewire really is necessary.

The only bit of this that sounds like "persecution" is the landlord expecting you to pay for removals and storage and temporary accommodation.

I would advise that you call Shelter, they will advise you of your rights and would be best placed to offer further support as they would I imagine have access to knowledgable solicitors? 

I would be inclined to write a letter to your landlady advising her that you are currently seeking legal assistance, don’t tell her what about. Curiosity kills. 
Do you have a copy of your rental agreement? It would be worth a read to see what is in and missed from it. 
Your landlord is not permitted to harass you. 

You could also try your local MP.

Don’t worry if you get served a S21 it can still take up to a year to get you out. 

As for the electrics, if you can, get your own independent report done. 

They only performed brief EICR tests and did not prepare an actual report, arguing that I'm in danger of being electrocuted because the house has the original wiring. Even though there's never been a single problem in all the time I have lived here. And they said they were unable to switch the electricity off completely because the board has rusted into the wall. Well, it hasn't. And I believe they're telling fibs!

Just to put a few points into perspective:

[1]  An electrical inspection is to evaluate if an installation is satisfactory or unsatisfactory for continued use.

and the person providing the inspection report would then sign a document to that effect.

[2] If an electrician declared an installation to be satisfactory and compliant with BS7671 wiring regulations,

when in reality it wasn't and someone was later injured, they would be leaving themselves open to legal action against themselves.

[3] Electricity is an invisible substance that can kill a healthy adult in less than a second.

[4] From your photos that Fuse board is clearly very old and dated, and cannot meet several of the basic safety requirements that a modern consumer unit compliant with the current edition of BS7671 can.

[5] It is quite possible that the screws that hold the front cover on have corroded, (rusted), to such an extent that you cannot remove the cover to undertake any testing.  I saw a similar one earlier this year in a damp cellar that was impossible to remove the cover.

[6] If you cannot remove the cover to undertake the various tests on the wiring then it is impossible to say that the installation is Satisfactory.

[7] When an installation is clearly going to be Unsatisfactory requiring some remedial work, there can be little point spending a lot of time on site trying to test things you already know require further attention to bring them up to a satisfactory standard.

[8] From your photographs I would have thought this should have all been picked up and addressed back in 2011, IF a competent electrician had been asked to do a periodic inspection?  Possibly the installation has not been properly tested for a very long time, if at all?

[9] Just because something works, does not mean it is safe. A car with bald tyres, worn breaks, no seat belts, broken lights & windscreen wipers, will work, and could be driven for many miles over a long duration.. But if you need to stop in an emergency if may prove fatal!  A non-compliant electrical installation will work, but in the event of a fault, it may not disconnect the power fast enough to prevent injury or damage to people, property or livestock.

[10] From what I can see on your photo's I very much doubt I would provide a "Satisfactory" report for this installation, As for the extent of remedial work required and if the property needs to be emptied to do this work is another question all together..  (a) it clearly needs a new Consumer unit..  (b) rewires of a property that is still lived in are not impossible.. they just take longer and a bit more hassle needing to ensure power is back on each evening for cooking, washing etc..

[11] Not sure you could claim that the electricians are exploiting any legislation? probably more likely ensuring they adequately cover their backs legally against someone claiming they have been negligent with respect to electrical work within the scope of BS7671..

[12] Probably more true that the landlord has been exploiting you be disregarding their general duty-of-care towards their tenants. I have had several children go off to university and rent numerous student properties.. I have always asked them to send me a copy of the last inspection report that the landlord has, and a photo of the meter & consumer unit.. If I had seen your photos from any one of them, I would have told them to walk away from that property and look for something else.        

[13] If an installation is below standard, it is the landlords responsibility to pay to bring it up to current standards.. But I have NO idea what their obligations are toward any tenants currently residing at the property.. and/or any inconvenience to the tenants.. ?

:coffee

As for the electrics, if you can, get your own independent report done. 

A tenant in a rental property should not have to pay for any electrical inspections..

this is the landlords responsibility, and should be paid by them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to put a few points into perspective:

[1]  An electrical inspection is to evaluate if an installation is satisfactory or unsatisfactory for continued use.

and the person providing the inspection report would then sign a document to that effect.

[2] If an electrician declared an installation to be satisfactory and compliant with BS7671 wiring regulations,

when in reality it wasn't and someone was later injured, they would be leaving themselves open to legal action against themselves.

[3] Electricity is an invisible substance that can kill a healthy adult in less than a second.

[4] From your photos that Fuse board is clearly very old and dated, and cannot meet several of the basic safety requirements that a modern consumer unit compliant with the current edition of BS7671 can.

[5] It is quite possible that the screws that hold the front cover on have corroded, (rusted), to such an extent that you cannot remove the cover to undertake any testing.  I saw a similar one earlier this year in a damp cellar that was impossible to remove the cover.

[6] If you cannot remove the cover to undertake the various tests on the wiring then it is impossible to say that the installation is Satisfactory.

[7] When an installation is clearly going to be Unsatisfactory requiring some remedial work, there can be little point spending a lot of time on site trying to test things you already know require further attention to bring them up to a satisfactory standard.

[8] From your photographs I would have thought this should have all been picked up and addressed back in 2011, IF a competent electrician had been asked to do a periodic inspection?  Possibly the installation has not been properly tested for a very long time, if at all?

[9] Just because something works, does not mean it is safe. A car with bald tyres, worn breaks, no seat belts, broken lights & windscreen wipers, will work, and could be driven for many miles over a long duration.. But if you need to stop in an emergency if may prove fatal!  A non-compliant electrical installation will work, but in the event of a fault, it may not disconnect the power fast enough to prevent injury or damage to people, property or livestock.

[10] From what I can see on your photo's I very much doubt I would provide a "Satisfactory" report for this installation, As for the extent of remedial work required and if the property needs to be emptied to do this work is another question all together..  (a) it clearly needs a new Consumer unit..  (b) rewires of a property that is still lived in are not impossible.. they just take longer and a bit more hassle needing to ensure power is back on each evening for cooking, washing etc..

[11] Not sure you could claim that the electricians are exploiting any legislation? probably more likely ensuring they adequately cover their backs legally against someone claiming they have been negligent with respect to electrical work within the scope of BS7671..

[12] Probably more true that the landlord has been exploiting you be disregarding their general duty-of-care towards their tenants. I have had several children go off to university and rent numerous student properties.. I have always asked them to send me a copy of the last inspection report that the landlord has, and a photo of the meter & consumer unit.. If I had seen your photos from any one of them, I would have told them to walk away from that property and look for something else.        

[13] If an installation is below standard, it is the landlords responsibility to pay to bring it up to current standards.. But I have NO idea what their obligations are toward any tenants currently residing at the property.. and/or any inconvenience to the tenants.. ?

:coffee

A tenant in a rental property should not have to pay for any electrical inspections..

this is the landlords responsibility, and should be paid by them.
Quite correct, I merely suggested such so that the tenant would have an independent perspective as they feel targeted by landlady. It may well be that the independent electrician says very similar to the landlady’s spark, it may also come back as Dave suggested that a few remedial and a board upgrade will suffice. 
however either way the tenant in this case will have a clearer perspective.  

Once issued with an unsatisfactory report your landlord/lady is required to rectify within 28 days. 

Fusebox has definitely seen better days but the cabling doesn't look that old. Whatever needs doing electrically isn't really a concern for you other than the inconvenience to you while the work is being carried out. 

Seek advice from CBA or Shelter on your rights as a tenant. You shouldn't be out of pocket to have the house you rent sorted. 

I'm also interested in where that red/black unmetered cable in the first picture from the service head goes to.

.I'm also interested in where that red/black unmetered cable in the first picture from the service head goes to

Looking at the cut out it's a looped supply to next door. I've seen a few like that. In fact I can cut off my next door neighbours supply as have the same arrangement.

Not sure if it's 3 phase going to the service head or not, never tried to find out, but would imagine it is.

Yes a shared supply by the looks of it in photo , I thought tails to your Meter look very tampered with at main supply fuse ! Cheap leccie, naughty naughty 😎