Shopping, hoarding, and keeping figures in proportion

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just read an interesting article in the Telegraph which looks at some of the shopping statistics presently being thrown around. It points out that the one billion pounds worth of goods allegedly being hoarded over the past three weeks amounts to about 10% of normal turnover for that period.

I suspect that the supply chains to the supermarkets are quite finely tuned to known selling patterns, and quite fragile when any serious shift in demand occurs.  I don't think they have full warehouses, "just in case".

Considering that we've been told to minimise visits to shops  I tried to buy my full weeks shop in one visit, rather than the two or three I would normally do. A full trolley for sure, but does it make me a hoarder?

Lot's of people who would lunch at Greggs/McD's/ school/the pub/etc, are now feeding at home, or perhaps taking packed lunches..  

I don't think that, in the main, public behaviour is as selfish or irresponsible as being suggested. It is largely a foreseeable consequence of what we are being told to do.

I’m not quite sure I agree although I understand your logic. 
I have seen people buying trolley full of dog/cat food that can’t be normal, people buying a trolley full of milk, trolley full of toilet rolls, trollers of tinned food etc, I think people are being rather pathetic and are just showing how we haven’t developed that far away from animal behaviour. No one has said that the supermarkets will close nor have they said we can’t use them so what’s the panic? It’s not because they’ve been told they can’t go out so what’s their excuse? 
If you can’t shop as normal then there needs to be a limit of no more than two/three items the same. 

the biggest issue I see is that there is conflicting information being broadcast. 
90% of people will get a mild dose of flu like symptoms but the remaining 10% will suffer possible fatal consequences. So now as we live in a minority ruled society why are we so surprised that the majority should have to isolate to save the few? 
I am the only one at work wearing a face mask and both rubber and material gloves-probably because I’m the oldest- not for my direct benefit as I’m fit enough to likely recover but for the benefit of being able to go home to my wife who is considered vulnerable? Am I wrong or am I aware that others may not take this pandemic as seriously? 
however it will not make me change my shopping habits. :C  

We stopped doing a "big shop" years ago....we just started  to buy stuff as and when needed to replace what we had used .   Admittedly there is now less stuff about and there are some total ,tossers about but it hasn't impacted us that much.  Lidl are restricting purchases to 4 of any one item. Went in on Saturday for some bits and 10 bars of chocolate so that I could use up the strawberries that have been soaking in vodka for two weeks!

i was allowed 4, wife allowed 4.......so the choc/straws ratio will alter.       But I am sure we will cope 😂🍫 🍓 

There are two problems.

ALL restaurants and most takeaways now closed.  ALL the meals we used to buy from those now have to be bought and cooked at home = extra demand for food shopping.

We are being told to be prepared to self isolate for 7 or 14 days or sometimes longer.  there is NO PLAN in place to feed those people, so EVERYONE is ensuring they have 2 weeks or more food in stock ready for that.

If you think you don't need to bother and you can just order it from Tesco for home delivery I fear you are going to be disappointed and hungry.

What is needed is a coherent plan from the government to mobilise a mass food delivery system for just about all households in isolation.  UNTIL that is in place, expect the stock piling to continue.

Yes it seems selfish, but your payback for being responsible and not stock piling is likely to be sitting at home with empty cupboards and hungry.

PEOPLE DON'T TRUST THE GOVERNMENT,

cant say for other areas, but at least round here, shops are starting to get more stock on the shelves. just going to take time for manufacturers to start priducing more, then getting into the transport network & RDC's then into shops

o my wife who is considered vulnerable? Am I wrong or am I aware that others may not take this pandemic as seriously? 
In the same boat  mate   but I think more are now realising we need to break the virus chain .   

Looking at the better side of  human nature ,  Mr Singh   next door going out for some shopping yesterday ,   knocked our door to say he'd pick up whatever we need if its there. 

Last week  builder mate across the road phoned from  a shop somewhere ,  " Need any eggs  I can get you six"  ?    

Some of us are hoarders at the best times, we always seem to have a cupbaord full of cans and a chest freezer of, erm, actually Im not sure whats in there, but its full! And dont mention the heads of mcbs of obselete ranges in the garage!