Should a PAT Test pass on Class II without anything plugged in?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connor1

Reaction score
I went on a PAT testing course over 6 months ago but have only just started to PAT test at my job. Is it normal for the PAT tester to pass on a Class II without anything plugged in? It gives me the same result even if I have an iPad plug in the device.

Thank you.

iPad wouldn't need testing as it doesn't directly plug into a socket-outlet. The charger is subject to testing.

Class II are still subject to testing such as IR, but absolute minimum would be a thorough visual inspection.

Thanks for the info. I don't PAT test the actual iPad, I do a visual check of the cable and I plug the charging plug into the PAT tester for class 2. However even if nothing is plugged into the PAT tester and I press Class 2 button and I still get a pass. Is this correct or is the PAT tester faulty?

There is no way a PAT tester can discriminate between a sound class 2 appliance, and having nothing plugged in.

If you think about it, it's looking for an open circuit and with nothing plugged in it's got one. Current has to flow from a circuit pin to the earth pin for it to see a FAIL.

Last edited by a moderator: