Shower Burnt Out - Which wires go where? [Quick Question]

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexanderDM1998

Reaction score
Hello,

Very quick question here from a long-time DIYer. My Shower burnt out last week and broke. And when I opened it up I noticed that it looked like this:

Xlm3bMW.jpg.248f10bd8987da634a37edd5e36bc8d5.jpg

Now I have installed the new shower Unit like this:

KeMJvMB.jpg.7c692c9130b3e0fcf3ad79b12a468987.jpg

Since the shower burnt out after the last "electrician" touched it, I wanted to ask you all if the original wiring was correct? As in:

Black > Brown

Red > Blue

Because I installed it like that yesterday and found that the shower was only producing lukewarm water. And in case this wiring was wrong, wanted to ask some qualified professionals just to clarify and check if this is the right wiring combination. Because I do not have a lot of faith in the person who touched my shower last and just wanted to check if it was correct.

Let me know what you think, and thanks for reading.

Alex.

As said polarity is wrong Red goes to Brown, Black goes to Blue.

Can you post a close up or the wiring to the top of the heating element inside the shower please?

The usual cause of terminals melting like that is they are not tightened properly.

I do hope you have re connected the earth wire (middle bare wire between the red and the black) I don't see it in the second picture entering the earth terminal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the day I heard an orange be-pinnied wazzock in the big orange ripoff store refer to the bare earth wire to "as we call it 'the stripping wire' "!! I felt it only fair to let him and the manager receive my £/50 worth at quite a large volume 

just saying
now that is going beyond customer ‘service’ :coat  

Polarity is wrong and the earth seems to have been chopped very short.

As the earth isn't connected please do not try and operate this shower until it has been connected and the cables are installed correctly, red to brown and black to blue.

Is there RCD protection for this circuit?

Last edited by a moderator: