Shower pull cord switches

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave2

Reaction score
2 days on the trot that I've been called out as shower is not working.

Both had the same problem---burnt out connector on load side phase(line)terminal.

2nd job was a stinker as piano wire, sorry 6mm t&e, had no slack to reterminate after I had stripped burnt insulation back.

I believe both problems were due to slack terminations caused because there was not enough space to tighten the screw terminals.

Do you all see this regularly and do you advise customer to switch off after use?

Dave2

2 days on the trot that I've been called out as shower is not working.Both had the same problem---burnt out connector on load side phase(line)terminal.

2nd job was a stinker as piano wire, sorry 6mm t&e, had no slack to reterminate after I had stripped burnt insulation back.

I believe both problems were due to slack terminations caused because there was not enough space to tighten the screw terminals.

Do you all see this regularly and do you advise customer to switch off after use?

Dave2
It is not uncommon. :(

2 days on the trot that I've been called out as shower is not working.Both had the same problem---burnt out connector on load side phase(line)terminal.

Dave2
My boys find this a all too common a problem.

45A switches (Pullcords as well) should have double screw terminations, to reduce this problem (mandatory by design).

However correct termination at the time onf installation, may well help to reduce this problem.

Constant pullcord operation, does in fact contribute to the already loose or poorly terminated connection.

Don

Very common problem - there are a lot of limp wristed sparkies out there who can't be bothered to get the right size screwdriver out!!!!

I think the Don has a good point about the switch operation making things worse.

Dave2
I find this is a common problem especially where a DIY bob has done some of his own alterations.... :(

I am convinced that DIY'ers have no real concept of how to tighten a screw fixing,

or of the dangers of lose connections overheating! :_|

Have had similar problems with cookers & socket outlets..

but as you say cuz of the higher power with a shower it becomes more of a problem...

& even more so when you need to stand on a ladder with the arms up at the ceiling fighting a connection in a cord pull switch.! :(

I was always told ......5 white knuckles = 10nm on a torque wrench

if it shears then you would have needed to replace it soon enuff

as been mentioned already

wen i were a lad we were taught to pull everthing up till the point just before it stripped.!!!!!!!

done me good so far.

anyway.

i cant see the flames from my house.!

agreed don.thats why you should never pull in overheads in the heat (unless you leave them loose), they get shorter in the cold and stretch and snap.!!!!!
OOh. D`you know, I`d never thought of that!

Thanks guys. It`s sometimes just the little things (as DON would know) that make the difference.

Good God NO!Not again.

Last time you tried that, was the committal, if you remember!

Probably why you`re still there!!!!!!!
I cant remember nothing......

Its all that Blo**y medication Welshy keeps giving me?

and all the beer I keep nicking from steptoes fridge!

(got some nice Tanglefoot from there today!)

who are you anyway... :eek:

I thought I was notifying a part P job..! ?:|

don't remember it been this friendly before???????????? ?:|