Shower switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raks

Reaction score
Hi there would it be okay to connect 6mm cable onto 10mm cable? The shower switch is getting moved and the cables need a joint in them, the pull cord is going to be another 1 metre away can I joint 6mm onto this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you need the services of an electrician. Quoting 60A terminal block suggests this is beyond your level of competence. 

I think you need the services of an electrician. Quoting 60A terminal block suggests this is beyond your level of competence. 
Yeah I was wondering if anyone knew what I needed first thanks 

It isn't a case of what you need but what would an electrician use.

Hi there would it be okay to connect 6mm cable onto 10mm cable? The shower switch is getting moved and the cables need a joint in them, the pull cord is going to be another 1 metre away can I joint 6mm onto this?

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately there is too little information in your question for anyone to give an accurate answer.  The cable sizes used for any circuit will be dependant upon the total load that the cable has to carry, The installation methods used, The type of protective device used to protect the cable, The maximum permissible earth loop impedance to comply with BS7671, (wiring regs), for the type of protective device used. Which must all be considered to ensure that in the event of a fault, you will not endanger people property or livestock. There are NO simple rules that say a shower must be 'X', 'Y' or 'Z'.  Just as saying if I have a red or blue car what size tyres must I use?

If you are unable to provide additional information, the safest solution would be, as Fleeting suggests, to get a local electrician to come and assess your exact requirements.

Doc H.