Shower tripping RCD 5 mins after use

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering how much he threw down his neck last night I feel it was a well reasoned and coherent theory !

local homebrew shop has stayed open until Council told him to shut and only do click and collect. Daft really as he has a central display unit and the til is at the rear of the shop. So in through door. 360° around central display. Back to counter,  pay , leave. Then next person goes in.  So now he has a counter in the shop doorway. He sits at back of shop. You stand outside and phone him, pay over phone. Collect goods. Simples

and whilst we're on the subject of unnecessary journeys

Dominic Cummings ( no wonder his wife kept her maiden name!)

hi is NOT a Minister

He is NOT a member of Government

he is not the Messiah

He IS a very naughty boy

From the manufactures installation instructions...

https://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/pub/media/custom/upload/File-1366041415.pdf

read point "6"  on the electrical installation bit... 

6.  A 45 amp double pole isolating switch with a minimum contact gap of 3 mm in both poles must be incorporated in the circuit. 

Which other aspects of the manufactures guidance have been omitted?

If the circuit and cable HAS been correctly installed and tested...

then by default you have a fault on your shower unit..

But if it has been a bit of a bodged install...

Then the possibilities are quite wide ranging.

:coffee
An isolation switch is not required by the regs. I believe the reqs over rule manufacturers instructions which are often wrong anyway. Manufacturers instructions are guidance only.

An 8.5kW shower will draw 35.4A at 240v.

An isolation switch is not required by the regs. I believe the reqs over rule manufacturers instructions which are often wrong anyway. Manufacturers instructions are guidance only.

An 8.5kW shower will draw 35.4A at 240v.

You believe wrong as BS7671 is only guidance also.  

:shakehead

The requiremnt is for local point of isolation for maintenance. It' why we fit shower / cooker / boiler / a.n.other items with points of isolation. Belive you me, if I didn't have to I wouldn't coz I'm tight fisted  :D

But there is no such requirement. Isolation for maintenance can be done at the CU in the same way it is done to maintain light fittings etc.

But there is no such requirement. Isolation for maintenance can be done at the CU in the same way it is done to maintain light fittings etc.
so when the rcd starts tripping, how would you advise your customers to DP isolate a shower without a proper switch?

just curious 

Whilst Mr Merlot’s theory is quite remarkable given levels of consumption, have we not thought about suitably IP ratings? Perhaps moisture is traversing wall tiles and seeping in through back of enclosure and shorting NE thus tripping RCD? It’s just a JD theory :C  

Last edited by a moderator:
JD usually beats Mr Merlot, but in this case I think he has Top Trumps

anyway, isolation

MR Merlot and his Chilean mentor say "isolation is disconnection of all current carrying conductors including the neutral"

so unless you turn off an RCD that covers half the board.  (Which we all know is fully compliant ) then you need to turn the board off as the MCB only kills the line/live as it is single Pole ( unless you have DP RCBOs in your board? And who has them?....oh yeah, ME!!! ) so isolation is afforded by the local DP,switch........

or is he wrong again?    He says he will be back later with his mate Jim Beam and a Boxed set of RR dresses

Stupid comparison!!!!!!!!     :pmsl1:  

As I don't think I have ever seen a light fitting with instructions that stated a double pole isolating switch with least 3mm separation gap must be installed in the supply to that item..... ?

Whereas..  Electric showers and/or cookers...     erm..  

Oh no hang on.....   :eek:

These are the instructions that you claim "most manufactures get wrong!?"    :shakehead

I doubt the MCB at the CU provides "Double Pole" isolation as recommended by 99.999999% of manufactures and thus by BS7671 wiring regulations..

due to..  134.1.1  previously  133-01-01   before that 130-01-01.. etc..

But you can keep up "your illusion that most manufactures instructions are wrong"

and pick and choose which bits you want to do, or not, as the case may be...

Meanwhile...  Back to the "TRIPPING PROBLEM" wot the thread is actually about.... 

Do you have any applicable answer to the OP's question?...

Or is it still just trying to nit pick descriptions and regs?

(which has happened more than once on your prolific previous 10 posts!)

:C