shower unit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1tiler

Reaction score
i have just removed a triton shower unit to tile behind, when i replaced it the shower is cutting out every minute or so.

i have just removed a triton shower unit to tile behind, when i replaced it the shower is cutting out every minute or so.
Bit more info needed...

Is it tripping a Fuse or RCD at the Consumer unit?

Or is it just cutting out its own internal Low water presure check..

i.e. water goes cold then re-heats a bit later?

How old is the shower?

it is just tripping internally i think, when it stops you can just pull the cord off then on and it starts up again, at a guess i would say shower is 2/3 years old.

it is just tripping internally i think, when it stops you can just pull the cord off then on and it starts up again, at a guess i would say shower is 2/3 years old.
Sounds like a problem on the shower circuit card or a thermal cut-out?

a) If there was a problem with the cable then probably an MCB or RCD would trip.

B) If there was a problem with the water pipe then likley that low water pressure would come on straight away.

another silly question but

Is it your own shower? or are you working for a customer?

i.e. Was the shower absolutly OK before you tiled behind it.

My gut feeling is removing and replacing a shower should only realsitically have problems with a) or B),

not the internal workings....

Assume all internal plug wires are pushed firmly in & correct way round?

screw terminals for cable terminations correct & tight?

?:| ? :|

yes it is for a customer, apparently working ok before, all that was done was disconnect then reconnect as before, i will check wiring is tight.

yes it is for a customer, apparently working ok before, all that was done was disconnect then reconnect as before, i will check wiring is tight.
Bugg*r!! :( :(

This could be a situation where the customer has had an intermitent fault..

not mentioned it!

You do your work...

bit of disturbance upsets the fault a bit more & it becomes a more permanent problem!! X(

Is it a model with most of the gubbins on one main circuit card and edge or plug connect with small wires to the swithes on the front panel??

It may be possible you have a high-resistance joint at a plug in cable, after opening it up you have disturbed the connection??

===========================================

as a seperate anecdotal bit of info..

We have a Triton shower at home. element started tripping off. water ran cold then come back on again.

First of all it happened once or twice over three months...

Then about once a week..

Then every time you went in the shower.

Luckily it was still under garauntee (2 year I think)..

so we were able to get a Triton guy to come out & fix it free of charge:) :)

He replaced the main circuit card, some componet had died the death!

Not much help if yours is 3years old but just to let you know.

you can get intermitent fauls that go progressivly worse!! :( :(

thanks special, don`t really know , will have a better look around when i get back to the job, typical though, what looks and feels like a simple procedure, ends up causing probs.

hope there is a spark operating in glasgow on the forum,,,, might need him.

thanks special, don`t really know , will have a better look around when i get back to the job, typical though, what looks and feels like a simple procedure, ends up causing probs.hope there is a spark operating in glasgow on the forum,,,, might need him.
Cant help you in Glasgow M8!!

Triton showers do have a website you can order spares from & a tech help phone line... (Triton are based in Nuneaton down here in the Midlands).

http://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/wps/wcm/connect/TritonShowers/Internet/After+Sales+Service/Fault+Diagnosis/

Or there is a place called the shower doctor up in Edinburgh, (bit nearer your side of the border.)

they supply spares and have a website with Q&A forum. specifically for shower problems....

May be worth a look..

even if just for a second opinion?

http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/index.html

Best of luck with it M8, could be a bad Moinday morning back at work:_|

I wonder what part of Scotland, McGaw is from?
I have already sent PM, i am in south Scotland however i do work in Galsgow.

i await response

thanks guys really appreciate your responses, have pm mcgaw and will let him know if i need his help

So i suppose its the tea's fault for 'garauntee' , the brown sauce's fault for 'intermitent' and the choccie biccies fault for 'progressivly' and 'swithes' ]:) ] :) ]:)
Whose fault was "componet" though?? or is it, in fact, a website for cement operatives?? :^O

Could the water supply pipe have been kinked during removal and restoration, so that the restricted water supply causes the shower stat or pressure switch to cut out.

Cheers

Or the incoming filter is full of plaster or grout, due to the pipe being left open ended, good news as I think that it is simply a small mesh insert.

A reduction of flow on an instaneous heater will cause an increase in water temp, which may trip any stats,many don't reset, so maybe flow drops and a flow switch (triton t80 style of years past). As a last reosrt I do have someome we could ask.

Cheers