Shower wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ppyvabw

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not a qualified electrician, but hope I know enough to know what's safe and what's not, so just wanted to get an opinion about whether I am right about something:

I have just moved into a rented property, which is a bungalow with a loft conversion done 30 years or so ago. The wiring in the place is completely crackers: the upstairs lights, for example, are on the same circuit as the two downstairs bedrooms.

My house mate and I are friends with the landlord, and he is letting us decorate the upstairs. Today, he has removed all the lights and sockets so that we can remove the old wall paper and paint up to them. He has taped the wires up from the sockets/lights to keep them together and insulate them. The mcb for the upstairs sockets and lights are switched off whilst we do it.

However, it turns out that the shower (downstairs), installed relatively recently, is connected to the upstairs sockets, and I have expressed concern to my housemate that because we don't know exactly where the power from the shower was taken from, that we might be best not to switch the mcb back on to use it, because it might be via the ring that is presently only held together with insulating tape. 

Moreover, after trying to investigate where the power for the shower is taken from, it turns out that it is wired into a 13 amp plug, and plugged into a normal 13amp socket (not fused), which I am 99.9% certain must be against electrical regs??? My understanding is that a shower must either be on its own circuit, or taken from a spur off the sockets its own fused switch??

Switching power back on to the exposed wires aside, am I right to be concerned about the path of current to the shower via the taped up wires, and am I right about the legality of the wiring itself -- i.e. from a normal 13 amp plug!

2 things here bud. I wouldn’t be turning power on to anything that is twisted and taped together that is not how things are removed even temporarily. As for the shower is it a power shower with a hot and cold water supply or is it a shower with an electrical heating element. Knowing what type of shower it is will help with the answer as to whether or not it can be connected to the ring final circuit. 

2 things here bud. I wouldn’t be turning power on to anything that is twisted and taped together that is not how things are removed even temporarily. As for the shower is it a power shower with a hot and cold water supply or is it a shower with an electrical heating element. Knowing what type of shower it is will help with the answer as to whether or not it can be connected to the ring final circuit. 
Thinking about it, I think it's a power shower with hot and cold water supply. There is no unit in the bathroom, just a push button switch on the shower and electrically controlled thermostat knob.

power showers are usually just a pump and are fine on a sockt circuit. if its electrically heated then it should be on its own circuit

turning power on to circuits taped up will end in with someone gettign a shock or a fire

Not much of an electrician if he just tapes things up with a bit of sticky tape.

I would have removed the sockets and made temporary joints with some decent screw connectors to allow power to be turned back on if you needed to.

Does the landlord know you are also messing with the electrical installation? Is this going to be re-tested and certified when it is put back together? Decorating paint & paper is a different ball game to disconnecting numerous accessories. 

Doc H.