SHOWER

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHRISSIE

Reaction score
HI there! I turned my shower off by the pull chord instead of on/off switch on shower and now my shower has no power supply? Am I able to fix this stupid mistake?

Big thank you all!

Is there a reason why you can't just use the pull cord to turn the shower on or have you tripped a circuit breaker

It is not a mistake to use the cord pull switch...

But shower isolators are quite heavy duty switches and some makes of cord pull are rather poor quality and can be prone to failure..

on various makes of square shaped switches the internal mechanisms can fail..

and give the type of problem you have where it fails to operate.

The best type of cord pull shower switch has a circular profile and is made by Crabtree..

Easily available for approx £15..

https://www.toolstation.com/crabtree-50a-pull-switch/p34147

But I wouldn't recommend you try and do a DIY replacement unless you are very competent with your electrical skill..

If the large cables are not correctly terminated they can cause overheating problems..

Any competent electrician should be able to swap it over for you with probably just their standard minimum call-out charge + the £15 for a switch..

(This assumes the wiring to the switch is all mechanically sound, undamaged and has sufficient slack to work with).

Guinness    

Check to see if anything has tripped at your consumer unit namely an rcd. Using the pull cord switch may have created a momentary imbalance if it was under load where both poles do not switch simultaneously, an rcd will sense this. If nothing has tripped you should seek out an electrician. 

Is there a reason why you can't just use the pull cord to turn the shower on or have you tripped a circuit breaker
Hi, the ceiling light/pull chord light is on, switching it on and off makes no difference? Not sure what I did by switching the shower off when running by pulling the chord? Thanks for the help!

It is not a mistake to use the cord pull switch...

But shower isolators are quite heavy duty switches and some makes of cord pull are rather poor quality and can be prone to failure..

on various makes of square shaped switches the internal mechanisms can fail..

and give the type of problem you have where it fails to operate.

The best type of cord pull shower switch has a circular profile and is made by Crabtree..

Easily available for approx £15..

https://www.toolstation.com/crabtree-50a-pull-switch/p34147

But I wouldn't recommend you try and do a DIY replacement unless you are very competent with your electrical skill..

If the large cables are not correctly terminated they can cause overheating problems..

Any competent electrician should be able to swap it over for you with probably just their standard minimum call-out charge + the £15 for a switch..

(This assumes the wiring to the switch is all mechanically sound, undamaged and has sufficient slack to work with).

Guinness    
Thank you very much! I Will have someone out to have a look, electricians did fit this new box, but it isn't round, so will ask for round one.  Everything has gone wrong lately, van etc so was really hoping to be able to fix it, but adhere to the advice 👍 Thank you for your time and trouble to respond, very much appreciated😍👍

Check to see if anything has tripped at your consumer unit namely an rcd. Using the pull cord switch may have created a momentary imbalance if it was under load where both poles do not switch simultaneously, an rcd will sense this. If nothing has tripped you should seek out an electrician. 
I did check the fuse box, turned it on and off etc but the light on the ceiling works but the shower still has nothing. Big thank you for your time to reply 👍😎

Does the pull cord switch for the shower, not the light still function. Does it have a red/orange neon indicator and is it illuminated.

Yes, red/orange light comes on👍
You mention it stays on when you pull the switch. It should turn on and off as you pull the switch.  It's quite possible the switch is wired the wrong way round and the light has never turned on or off.  Are there any lights on the shower itself?

Most likely the switch has failed so best to get a local electrician to check it and see.

This may sound like an obvious thing to check but is the shower actually switched on at the shower, does the shower have an indicator light.

You mention it stays on when you pull the switch. It should turn on and off as you pull the switch.  It's quite possible the switch is wired the wrong way round and the light has never turned on or off.  Are there any lights on the shower itself?

Most likely the switch has failed so best to get a local electrician to check it and see.
Sorry, not explaining very well. Light on pull chord switches on and off, but no light or power to shower👍

This may sound like an obvious thing to check but is the shower actually switched on at the shower, does the shower have an indicator light.
No indicator light comes on now and no power. 😞

Sounds like you are going to need some professional help.

big thank you but for whatever reason, my shower now is all lit up and has power!!🤪 Crazy!!

Sounds like you are going to need some professional help.
Big thank you but for whatever reason, my shower now is all lit up and has power!!🤪 Crazy!!

If you get ANY more strange happenings, such as flickering lights or intermittent operation please get a professional to check it out.

Bad connections or faulty switches  on a high powered circuit like a shower can cause serious overheating and fire risk.

I would strongly recommend you still get it checked out there is something amiss.

Latest posts