showers cable advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt67

Reaction score
So we are redecorating our rental flat in preparation for a new tenant and

More details are needed, but - Personally, I would put 10mm in to allow for any future upgrade of the electric shower.

You may find after all the calculations (based on further info) that 6mm would be alright.

It is this one and it doesnt come with a power rating:

http://www.galaxy-showers.com/g2000.htm

I have just spoken to their technical support team and they said it doesnt have a power rating as such which I find very supprising. They recon it is a 13A low power requirement one.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking of future proofing the installation if and when I sell the flat and a shower upgrade was done.

if fitting electrical shower and it is not a glorified mixer cable calcs depend on wattage type used and length of cable etc.. you will find wattage on inside of cover, usually you will find details on how to remove the cover in the manufacturers instructions.

ensure you have rcd protection (30mA) or you will be in for one hell of a shock when you get your final inspection. cheers rob

With reference to the Mira showers

are they the only ones that have the plumbing on the left side ???

just wondering as i think they are a good make but know the early ones are starting to fail the landords arew not wanting like fore like replacements

With reference to the Mira showersare they the only ones that have the plumbing on the left side ???

just wondering as i think they are a good make but know the early ones are starting to fail the landords arew not wanting like fore like replacements
My "Neptune" is plumbed through the left hand side too. :)

It is a power shower? Therefore 1.5mm is probably sufficient. Have you got the kW rating to hand at all? i.e. the label on the unit itself?

If it is 8.5kW hell minimum of 6mm but it states 'power shower'? Therefore the cable is only powering the lights and a small internal motor?

It must have a rating somewhere?

EDIT: just looked at the other link, states 3a fuse, therefore 1.5 is more than sufficient :)

Don't pay to future proof it unless you think you will want to put an electric shower in for yourself, let buyers pay for an upgrade if they want it. No one buys a house thinking 'that's wired in 10mm, great because I wanted to change the power shower to an electric shower'.

If you already have a hot and cold feed you may as well stick with power showers, much cheeper to run. I've got an electric, which I wired in 10mm. 10mm is a pain in the arse. It took me three back boxes before I managed to get the isolator fitted, I just couldn't get it all in the back box without making bigger holes than they're supposed to have and that weakened them so they broke when screwing in.

As KME suggest this thread is over 18months old now, it has probably been resolved.

Doc H.

I have heard of BUMP before to reinstate a thread, but I would think he has fitted two showers since his first post.

It took me three back boxes before I managed to get the isolator fitted, I just couldn't get it all in the back box without making bigger holes than they're supposed to have and that weakened them so they broke when screwing in.
use a crabtree shower switch. problem solved