sick to death of "secrets"

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember Flash Gordon on Saturday morning kid's cinema Phil,.... Ah yes  ... I used to read all the Just WIlliam books .  Didn't they do it on TV with Denis Waterman as a child actor back then? 

And yes the summer did last forever back then ...the tarmac used to melt on our road.                Even though I lived in a smokey old city I thought I should be like Just WIlliam.... always  emerging from ditches in country lanes ,covered in mud and vegitation stuck in my hair.......   with my dog Jumble... off to meet my fellow Outlaws in the barn .   

Phil you're not correct about your CD's     ...they are not a million miles apart as country music developed from the folk music brought to America by Irish , English  & Scottish  immigrants .  Many of the early American folk songs used old English tunes ...morphing into Bluegrass  & Country . Had those two singers met they would have been well in tune .

Take the "House of the Rising Sun"   . it was based on an old English folk song about a  bloke who loved the ladies but was suffering from a VD , it was called "The unfortunate Rake"  apparently .

Whoops I'm going off on one again , don't want to bore everyone.
Aye Dennis Waterman played William, and that red haired actress, can't remember her name played that girl who fancied him, Violet Elizabeth Bott, had a lisp, her catchphrase was, "I'll thcream and thcream until I'm thick" (I'll scream and scream until I'm sick). It was 76 when the tarmac melted around our way,  they had gritters out sprinkling sand on the roads. I remember both Carr Mill Dam, and Eccleston Mere, both dried up and I walked across them, they've never done that since. I remember telling a young lad about it a few years back, I think he thought I was a nutter, with a Jesus fantasy,lol

I feel sorry for the kids today, back when we were young you could have a whole day's fun for nothing, now it all either costs money, needs batteries, or a phone or internet signal!

I tried taking my grandkids out and showing them what we did, the young lad (10) asked when we'd get to see video games and was annoyed there was no internet, and the girl (7) screamed blue murder when her wellington boot got stuck in the mud!

Just listened to that song, "the rake" and the tune is from "the streets of laredo", another well known song.

It is a shame for the kids TBH  .  It changed from us out playing from dawn till dusk , no grown -ups , no fear of a passing paedophile ,  traffic a million times less than now .....to the over protected , indoor house plants that kids seem to have become.

Yes   your'e right ...I'd just editted it ...its not  The Rising Sun ...which is about a girl with the same disease in most versions .

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a shame for the kids TBH  .  It changed from us out playing from dawn till dusk , no grown -ups , no fear of a passing paedophile ,  traffic a million times less than now .....to the over protected , indoor house plants that kids seem to have become.

Yes   your'e right ...I'd just editted it ...its not  The Rising Sun ...which is about a girl with the same disease in most versions .
Oh yes, do you remember when you fell out of that tree and hurt your arm? your mum had to take you to hospital in case you'd broken it, then later on you got a belt, because you'd been told often enough not to climb trees.

Nowadays, a kid falls out of a tree and hurts itself, the mother rings a solicitor and sues the council for negligence. I mean, what kind of idiot plants trees in a park? they'll be serving food in cafes next.lol

What !!! Trees in parks !!      My God!     Child killers , the lot of 'em .

In all honesty things ARE different now .........  in this area within the last four days four people have been killed , one shooting ..two stabbings  and one machetteing .

Traffic is horrendous ,  half the drivers are off their heads with ganja or worse.  No wonder kids are kept in.

A few years ago a neighbour told me his daughter was moving out to live with boyfriend.............  they'd been here for years and I didn't even know he HAD a daughter !

Last edited by a moderator:
What !!! Trees in parks !!      My God!     Child killers , the lot of 'em .

In all honesty things ARE different now .........  in this area within the last four days four people have been killed , one shooting ..two stabbings  and one machetteing .

Traffic is horrendous ,  half the drivers are off their heads with ganja or worse.  No wonder kids are kept in.

A few years ago a neighbour told me his daughter was moving out to live with boyfriend.............  they'd been here for years and I didn't even know he HAD a daughter !
It is indeed shocking, a few years ago we had these neighbour's who were,lets say, a bit dim.

One day I was on the front and they came out and asked if I had seen their 2 year old daughter, I hadn't, I asked how long she'd been missing, about 4 hours! I asked if they'd notified the police, again no, they thought she had to be missing 24hours!

I asked what she was wearing when they last saw her, nothing apparently, I told them to phone the police, and I organised a search party, we found the child in a house several streets away.

I don't know which was more worrying, the fact the parents hadn't noticed her missing for 4 hours, the fact they hadn't reported her missing, or the fact that, a naked 2 year old stranger turned up at a persons house and they just allowed the child to play in their home without making any attempt to locate it's parents!

A police officer told me recently that he'd stopped a young bloke on the motorway for speeding, he'd done a drugs test and the lad had failed a test for cannabis, and was reported to court. Less than a week later he spots the same lad, flying down the motorway, stops him, and once again he fails a drugs test.

When asked where he was going in such a hurry, he replied, "the hospital mate, my girlfriend and newborn baby are being let out today, and I have to bring them home".

How bad is that, off his face on drugs and he thinks it's a good idea to drive a car to collect a newborn baby from the hospital.

That attitude seems to be commonplace these days.

Its summed by that cartoon , I'm sure everyone's seen it .....theres a man drowning  with a dozen people filming him on their phones . 

I noticed yesterday while watching the tennis ...   people.... instead of enjoying the spectacle,  they've queued for 3 weeks , spent £300 to get in and are sitting there , either texting someone  or filming on their phones . 

Similar with footy fans , travel to Wembly to watch England play ...pay a fortune to get in ...... can't last beyond halftime without visiting the bar .... miss the first 10 mins of the second half  while returning to seats.....then leave 10 mins before full time ..no doubt heading for the boozer.   Its only 90 mins to last without a drink ....perhaps its me ? 

Someone said to me the other day  ...I'm over at Kings Heath this afternoon ...I should call in on my parents but I don't know if I can make the time , not seen them for three months .     Had to say I wish I could call in on my parents ....you need to make time or you'll be regretting it very soon.

That attitude seems to be commonplace these days.

Its summed by that cartoon , I'm sure everyone's seen it .....theres a man drowning  with a dozen people filming him on their phones . 

I noticed yesterday while watching the tennis ...   people.... instead of enjoying the spectacle,  they've queued for 3 weeks , spent £300 to get in and are sitting there , either texting someone  or filming on their phones . 

Similar with footy fans , travel to Wembly to watch England play ...pay a fortune to get in ...... can't last beyond halftime without visiting the bar .... miss the first 10 mins of the second half  while returning to seats.....then leave 10 mins before full time ..no doubt heading for the boozer.   Its only 90 mins to last without a drink ....perhaps its me ? 

Someone said to me the other day  ...I'm over at Kings Heath this afternoon ...I should call in on my parents but I don't know if I can make the time , not seen them for three months .     Had to say I wish I could call in on my parents ....you need to make time or you'll be regretting it very soon.
one day these people are going to realise that their relatives are not available on "catch up", my family were always falling out over stupid things, I suppose we were all as bad as each other.

I hadn't spoken to my mother or my brother for a good few years, following an argument about my wedding, the next time I saw my mother was shortly after my brother had died, sadly she died less than 3 months later. Unfortunately I can't turn the clock back.