Silly question (conduit)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwiNCFC

Reaction score
I have only been practising conduit for about 5 times but in my rig at the end of year i have to use it and i have a question.

For example, if i have a switch - switch with steel conduit in between and its 300mm from the centre of each switch how long do i need to cut the pipe? Sorry if it sounds a bit simple but its confusing me. I think i need to allow 15mm on each end for the couplers so do i cut the pipe 270mm?

Thanks!

akd53n.jpg

I have only been practising conduit for about 5 times but in my rig at the end of year i have to use it and i have a question.For example, if i have a switch - switch with steel conduit in between and its 300mm from the centre of each switch how long do i need to cut the pipe? Sorry if it sounds a bit simple but its confusing me. I think i need to allow 15mm on each end for the couplers so do i cut the pipe 270mm?

Thanks!

akd53n.jpg
Hi mate,

If I'm reading you correctly, you also need to allow for half the width of each switch and deduct that - because your conduit isn't going to run to the center, it runs to the outer edge.

Example: If your switch was 120mm wide, then you would deduct 60mm per switch from the length of your conduit

So, 300-60-60=180mm

To be honest, if I was doing this in practise, I would fit my accessory boxes where I wanted them (300mm centers).

Thread one end of conduit and fit coupling.

Fit other coupling to one of the boxes and offer your section of conduit up to it.

Mark off, cut and thread. Job done.

Gonna be more accurate than cutting conduit first then fitting everything:)

Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know.

Thanks mate thats a great help, feel a bit more confident now in doing it.