Simple theory question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juniorspark

Reaction score
was asked a question today and couldnt find the correct explanation to give can someone help with a better answer than "because it does"?

if you have a circuit then live carries in the current goes through the load and returns to the supply through the neutral, however if you remove the load then you will create a dead short by connecting the live to the neutral so what is it about the load that stops this effect? given this a lot of thought and cant think of answer

The resistance of the load will limit the current. V=IR so I =V/R

Say voltage is 12 V and the resistance is 6 ohms then 2 Amps will flow, replace the resistance with a short of say 0.1 ohms then your current will jump to 120 Amps.

Resistance, (or impedance with AC), the load has a resistive effect on the supply, the wires joined together have negligible resistive effect. Less resistance more current flows so fuse blows.

Very good explainations.

Junior always keep these 2 formulas in your mind V=IR and W=VA

Can work out so many questions with those.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good explainations.Junior always keep these 2 formulas in your mind V=I/R and W=VA

Can work out so many questions with those.

:)
Think you might have a typo there, V=IR not V=I/R

Sorry to pick you up on it, just don't want people getting confused.

Think you might have a typo there, V=IR not V=I/RSorry to pick you up on it, just don't want people getting confused.
No problem! Your right, I'm not sure why I put the slash in.