Size of inverter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening, I've been reading all the threads regarding solar etc with lots of interest, and trying work out the best way to go.
I'm going to have solar panels to help with my rising energy cost. Hot water is a big cost in our house with 5/6 of us having showers sometimes twice a day and only having an electric immersions as gas boiler only does heating.
I have a chap that i know through the wholesalers who's going to fit it as I've no experience at all and would rather pay someone who knows what there doing and going to get it done alot quicker than me.
Anyway he's gonna fit 16 panels 395 ja solar, 8 on the east and 8 on the west side of my roof and a 3.6 solis inverter. Ill fit a solis 200 as ive fitted a few and been impressed with them,Plus I'm going to add a battery at some point to.
So as I'm waiting for stock to be available, so have time to apply to dno, I've been thinking is it worth going for a larger inverter, what would be the benefits/downfalls to this. From What I read and understood on here is if I do go for a larger one I'll need to apply to dno to check this is OK or is that only I don't limit the export? Would anyone recommend a different brand to solis, not that I think ill get anything any quicker anyway. Sorry for long post.
Wayne

Evening, I've been reading all the threads regarding solar etc with lots of interest, and trying work out the best way to go.
I'm going to have solar panels to help with my rising energy cost. Hot water is a big cost in our house with 5/6 of us having showers sometimes twice a day and only having an electric immersions as gas boiler only does heating.
I have a chap that i know through the wholesalers who's going to fit it as I've no experience at all and would rather pay someone who knows what there doing and going to get it done alot quicker than me.
Anyway he's gonna fit 16 panels 395 ja solar, 8 on the east and 8 on the west side of my roof and a 3.6 solis inverter. Ill fit a solis 200 as ive fitted a few and been impressed with them,Plus I'm going to add a battery at some point to.
So as I'm waiting for stock to be available, so have time to apply to dno, I've been thinking is it worth going for a larger inverter, what would be the benefits/downfalls to this. From What I read and understood on here is if I do go for a larger one I'll need to apply to dno to check this is OK or is that only I don't limit the export? Would anyone recommend a different brand to solis, not that I think ill get anything any quicker anyway. Sorry for long post.
Wayne
Solis is good, and I would definitely go bigger on the inverter. As long as you can demonstrate it has export limitation, you shouldn't have any issues with the DNO

The new Solis ranges can take 500W to a KW of panels over their rated input so u will need a 5KW inverter with that many panels to be able to take mid day sun in the summer! This leads you down the G99, G100 path so you will need to do all your form filling and get approvals before anything is installed. East West is a great idea as it gives you better output at beginning and end of day when you are most likely to use it ;-)
Cheers
Stuart

Latest posts