sky

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshgit

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just to say that due to the distinct lack of work and my nails being chewed to the quick, I have considered winding my business down. :(

You may know already that I set up in April, (thats right when the credit crunch hit!!!!) Well apart from a possible kitchen install + Board change + earth provision/bonding in January-ish my phone is only being used to recieve calls from poxy marketing firms and web site providers!

I have recently applied to Sky to be an installer and have an assessment next week to see if I can climb a ladder and to make sure my height and weight match what I disclosed during my interview;). :D

I feel like a sell out and a coward :_| but I keep telling myself : regular monthly salary to pay mortgage!!! I will keep an eye on the building sector and hopefully will return when it picks up again.

How is everyone else fairing seeing that next year is billed as the hardest year since the eighties.

Cheers in advance guys, I hope I'm the only one with sod all work. Maybe yo're braver than me!Guiness Drink

Welshgit

Hey, no way are you a sellout and coward! Doh! (where's that biffing smilie gone?)

You're doing the right thing - looking for solutions and taking action. It's worthwhile doing different things (as well as getting to become a really useful person :D )

Good luck with the Sky interview and here's to the sparking picking up again soon Guiness DrinkGuiness Drink

You know, I am also seriously thinking of jacking it all in too.

No work since god knows when, then yesterday I get a call from an existing customer to do all of their Devon & Cornwall franchises.

Now it all seems to be good for me, but I now have no cash or credit to buy stock to do the work. AAAAARGH! :(

You could do a bit of sparking weekends to keep things ticking over?

The mortgage has to be paid.

Needs must.

Good luck with your interview :)

(If the chap who installed sky in our house is anything to go by they'll employ anyone - he almost cut his finger off with a stanley knife trying to strip the co-ax!)

Thanks Apache,lol:D

I am reasonably skilled at stripping cable and may take some of my own tools with me to help out.

I would assume that my training would include

Ridiculous parking practices.

Cutting up other drivers.

Arriving late to a job by a few hours without notifying customers.

Some of the perks sound great i.e. BUPA for me the wife and kids, heavily discounted sky with free sky+, usage of company vehicle for private usage, pension.

fingers crossed as the job vacancies are drying up unless you really enjoy answering phones all day long!

welshgit

Welsh

You could always keep your business cards in your van for the odd occasion when your other job comes into the conversation ;)

doing a few saturday mornings to keep your sparky eye in

I have a mate who went to sky as an installer,,,,,on his test there were 5 tvs set up and all he had to do was tune them in to sky and he had 30 mins to do it in

good luck

welsh, look after no1 m8 and do whatever you have to do to keep a roof over your head, your not selling out, if anything your being proactive in trying to keep ahead of the game, next year will be tough but sooner or later things will get better and at that point you may be able to restart your business, easier done if you didnt go bust this year by hanging on, in the mean time i wish you all the best with sky...

ahem now if you get the job could you be ever so kinda as to post a nice shiny new skyHD box Pray

to

c/o betty swollocks

34 hobgoblin terrace

new town

thanks bezzie m8

have you lost weight??

:x

Welshie you have got to do what you have got to do to earn a living. It may not be what you really want to do but as long as it pays the bills its work. I have been self employed as an electrician for about ten years. I am not booked up for weeks ahead but my weeks seem to fill up and I usually work saturdays as well. I think we have got to ride this out. A lot of this recession is caused by the media. They have been talking about it for months and I think have caused it. Good luck in what you do.

Batty

Sorry to hear that but at the end of the day you gotta look after number 1;)

I have just been thrown a lifeline which should see me through next year at least,starting a 12 month contract in jan for 5 disabled bathrooms a week,labour only so no materials to fork out for,the only downside is it`s council properties but it`s regular well paid work so can`t be bad. :^O

Taff:

don`t sweat it mate. As is being said, over & over - the JOB isn`t the be all & end all of the world - your home & family are!

We all need to pay bills. If the business isn`t bringing in the dough to do that, better to jump to something that will, before things get too tight for any solution to work!!!

I`d agree with theo - keep cards on you, and get a bit of extra work. The hardest part, in my opinion, is getting, and keeping a good customer base. I would say 80% of my work is personal recommendation, and repeat. BUT - it`s taken a long time to build those people up to the point where they phone me, and say "come and do", not " how much is?"

Good luck with sky mate. Hope the future has everything you need for success.

KME