Small Controller issue

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey B

Reaction score
New to the forum.
I put together an experimental (to me) solar PV system to Power lighting under Kitchen Cabinets years ago. I got a panel, battery, controller from eBay all 12V except the panel which puts out around 36V. It has worked faultlessly for many years. in December it stopped working and I put this down to the controller. I bought a new (eBay cheap) controller and connected it all up - worked fine for a couple of weeks then packed up again. Reading the details for the controller it says 12V/24V but also that 12V is for a max 25V panel and 24V is for max 50V panel. All my lighting and switch sensor is 12V and from what I read if you choose 24V system the load will be 24V too.
My question - is there a controller available which will take 36V panel, 12V battery and load 12V? or is there another better way to do it like 24V battery and use a 24V to 12V DC/DC converter for my setup or even get a smaller panel?
Thanks for any advice/Help in advance

Lower voltage solar panel will solve the "Too much voltage for the controller" problem.

Thanks Richard, I have two small spare solar panels which I have just tested and they are OK. I will link them up in Parallel and try that. Shame about the big panel though - now it is a spare!