Smart light switch neutral

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsSimon

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to install a few smart light switches in my home, and think I have it mostly figured out.
I know normally that a lot of UK homes do not have the neutral wire in the light switch socket, but upon looking in some of mine, it looks like they do, but are ended in a brick. Can someone please confirm (first image - the second image does also have this but I didn't take it at the right angle), and if so (obviously once isolated) would it be ok to disconnect them from the brick and put them into the neutral socket?

In the first image, I gather where the two brown wires are going in, that is the COM (always live) and the single brown wire is switched live?

And for the second image (it is a 3-gang switch), I was wondering if you could help me make sense of this... I am not sure why there is a brown wire connecting each one?

Thank you!

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 26
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 26
first appears to be loop through switch so you have a neutal. common on newer properties, current regs recommend a neutral at the switch

second, its to provide a perm live to all 3. again, common

first appears to be loop through switch so you have a neutal. common on newer properties, current regs recommend a neutral at the switch

second, its to provide a perm live to all 3. again, common
Thanks, Andy, and sorry for the slow reply. Haven't had the chance to come back to this project due to work.

So if I was to install a smart light switch on the second socket, it has 4 neutral wires terminating in the block. Would I route all 4 neutral wires into the neutral port on the switch, or would I just use one? Apart from that, I have the rest covered! Thank you in advance.

Thanks, Andy, and sorry for the slow reply. Haven't had the chance to come back to this project due to work.

So if I was to install a smart light switch on the second socket, it has 4 neutral wires terminating in the block. Would I route all 4 neutral wires into the neutral port on the switch, or would I just use one? Apart from that, I have the rest covered! Thank you in advance.
You would get a short piece of wire and take the neutral from the connector block to your smart switch.

I'd recommend getting a wago 221 5 way connector for that... just my preference!

You would get a short piece of wire and take the neutral from the connector block to your smart switch.

I'd recommend getting a wago 221 5 way connector for that... just my preference!

Thinking on the right lines...

BUT.. can be too big in a tight space..
the compact push-fit 2273 series are a better option..

e.g.
5-way compact push-fit Wago

Single wire to the switch..
then join all existing neutrals & the new wire together into compact push-fit wago..
Jobs-A-Good-Un!