Smart Meters new changes- the evil is lurking

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpend

"It Just Is"
Reaction score
so just browsing as you do and come across an article promoting the new smart meter changes that will reduce the consumers' bill, then half way through they talk of surge pricing, that'll seal the deal to get a smart meter for many!!...........................

..............I don't think!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/oth...pc=U531&cvid=3e3448cd11714406b6bccc24f46598fa

that is what smart meters have ALL been about since their introduction

and precisely why we should ALL refuse them

Yep, it is all a CON. Tell them to get a smart meter on the pretence it will save you money, then it will cost you a lot more money if you dare to do something like cook your dinner in the early evening,

Did you read the article? Not sure how you deduced that?
It's exactly what they are doing, all part of the smart grid they have planned. Trouble is to take advantage of the half hour off peak time slots, you need appliances that can be controlled to operate at these times, or a battery system that charges up at these times to release the energy when you need it. Needless to say the poorest in society will not have the money to buy such equipment.

I guess I was looking at it from a perspective of who in reality is going to run their house to avoid the busy periods? I guess the only people that may already be doing that are shift workers?
Or should we have a rota system for usage on every street, so our lives will be managed by how many are around us?

I guess I was looking at it from a perspective of who in reality is going to run their house to avoid the busy periods? I guess the only people that may already be doing that are shift workers?
Or should we have a rota system for usage on every street, so our lives will be managed by how many are around us?
I effectively already do this to take advantage of solar electric. All my appliances have timers so I can set them to start at different times of the day if it's sunny or leave the washing until tomorrow. The smart grid will also suppossedly make better use of Wind and Solar generation which as we all know can be rather variable. What you will eventually get is appliances linked to the meter that will turn on to take advantage of cheaper leccy and help balance out the grid loading. The other fave is EV charging, so effectively all the car batteries can be used to balance out grid loading. All of which is great until the Russians or Chinese hack the computer system :D

Yep, it is all a CON. Tell them to get a smart meter on the pretence it will save you money, then it will cost you a lot more money if you dare to do something like cook your dinner in the early evening,

Its worse than that.

WE are paying for this farce, and lots of the 1st types of Smart Meters are being ripped out and scrapped.

Whoever decided this was a good idea needs to be NAMED and SHAMED.

Its worse than that.

WE are paying for this farce, and lots of the 1st types of Smart Meters are being ripped out and scrapped.

no need to worry, they only charge £450 per meter to the government and they have wasted far more tax payers money on 'track and trace' and COVID business support fiddles....

Its worse than that.

And the 3rd generation SMETS 3 is on the way

Has ANYONE actually seen a physical meter reader since covid started?

Apparently meter readers have been seen!

We're with Shell Energy and I submit actual readings at the end of every month - and I've never been asked to prove they are correct.

My late brothers house has Smart Meters and the monthly bill normally arrives on about the 4th of the month - its the 8th and its still not arrived. They are controlled by Octopus and they keep suggesting the DD should be increased by 4 x - despite the actual usage being less than the DD and I've told them this 3 x - thankfully I can easily over-ride the DD each time they put the DD up.